Which residence permits to work are there?

You want to come to the Netherlands to work here in paid employment. On this page you can read what possibilities to work exist in the Netherlands. You can also read how the application procedure works and what you need to arrange in the Netherlands after your application.

​Different conditions apply to persons with the nationality of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and their family members.

Duration of your stay 

How long you come to work in the Netherlands determines whether you need a residence permit.

Stay of fewer than 90 days

If you will be working for fewer than 90 days, you usually need a short-stay visa. Whether you need a visa depends on your nationality. You apply for a short-stay visa at the Netherlands embassy in your country of origin or the country of continuous residence. Is there no embassy in the country where you live? You can then go to an embassy in a neighbouring country. In addition, you employer usually has to apply for a TWV for you.

Cross-border worker

 You work in the Netherlands but you live in a different EU country (for example Belgium or Germany). You are a cross-border worker. This is also a short stay.

Stay for more than 90 days

If you come to work for a longer time, you will then need a residence permit. You can read below which residence permits there are and how the application works.

Residence permits for working in paid employment

There are various residence permits for working in the Netherlands. Which residence permit you can apply for depends on the job you find in the Netherlands. Below you will see an overview of the possible residence permits.

Intra Corporate Transferees (Directive 2014/66/EU)

You work at a company established outside the European Union (EU) and you are transferred to a branch in the Netherlands.

For this residence permit you cannot apply yourself. Your employer should apply for the residence permit at the IND.

Highly skilled migrant

You are going to work in a high-level position. Or you are going to work as a (guest) lecturer, trainee doctor or scientific researcher in paid employment. Specific salary requirements apply. Your employer must be recognised as a sponsor by the IND.

For this residence permit you cannot apply yourself. Your employer should apply for the residence permit at the IND.

European blue card

The European blue card is intended for employees who perform highly skilled work within the EU. Specific salary and educational requirements apply. This residence permit also makes it easier for the employee to work in a different EU Member State. Your employer will apply for your residence permit.

For this residence permit you cannot apply yourself. Your employer should apply for the residence permit at the IND.

Researcher within the meaning of Directive (EU) 2016/801

You can also work as a researcher within the meaning of Directive (EU) 2016/801. You do not need to receive a salary; you may also receive a grant. Your employer must be recognised as a sponsor by the IND.

For this residence permit you cannot apply yourself. Your employer should apply for the residence permit at the IND.

Work in paid employment

This is the standard residence permit for working in paid employment in the Netherlands. Several permits exist for work in paid employment with specific rules:

Work experience as a trainee or apprentice

You will apply for this purpose of stay if you are a student and will do an internship in the Netherlands or will go to work for a Dutch company in order to gain work experience. You can also do an internship or gain work experience in the context of an EU action programme.

Cross-border service provider

You work at a company in the EU, EEA or Switzerland. You will provide services for this company in the Netherlands.

Family members

Your family members can usually come along to the Netherlands. You cannot take your family members along only if you come for seasonal work or if you come for work placement or to gain work experience.


After the application

Registration with the municipality

Upon arrival in the Netherlands, you must register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP)  in the municipality you are going to live.

To register with the municipality you need a legalised and translated  birth certificate. Take this therefore with you when you travel to the Netherlands.

Please contact your municipality in advance to check which (legalised and translated) documents/ certificates you need to take with you.

TB test

You have indicated your intent to undergo a tuberculosis test (TB test) when you applied. You have to make an appointment for this with the Area Health Authority (GGD). You do this within 3 months after having received your residence permit. Please take the 'TB test referral form' with you to the appointment.

In some cases you are exempt from taking a TB test.

Take out health insurance

Anyone living in the Netherlands must take out health insurance. You do this within 4 months following your arrival in the Netherlands. This does not apply to you.

Are you doing an internship in the Netherlands? You only have to take out Dutch public health care insurance when your internship salary will be at least as high as the Dutch minimum wage. You can also read the information on the website Zorgverzekeringslijn.​


​On the back of your residence permit is stated under which conditions you are allowed to work.

Legal obligations

There are a number of legal obligations that apply to you and your employer.

The IND monitors your compliance with these legal obligations. Failure to meet these legal obligations may have consequences.

Further applications (extend or change) / return visa

Replace residence permit

Is your residence permit damaged, lost or stolen? In that case, have the residence permit replaced.

Extend residence permit

Is your residence permit due to expire soon? Apply for an extension.

Change residence permit

Has something changed in your situation that influences your residence permit? Please report this immediately to the IND. It may mean that the residence permit has to be changed.

Permanent stay

Having had a residence permit for a period of 5 years, you may apply for a permanent residence permit.

Becoming a Dutch citizen

Having had a residence permit for a period of 5 years, you may apply for Dutch citizenship.

Return visa

If you are awaiting a procedure, you do not have a valid residence document at present and you wish to travel outside the Netherlands, you may need a return visa to re-enter the Netherlands. This could be the case if your current residence permit is no longer valid or your current residence permit will expire during your stay outside of the Netherlands. To apply for a return visa you must meet certain conditions. ​

Country of continuous residence

​A country of continuous residence is a country (other than the country of origin) where you may lawfully live for more than 3 months. This means you have a valid residence permit for that country. Or that you are waiting for your application for a residence permit to be approved.

Are you in a country in your free term? Or with a visa for short stay (maximum of 3 months)? This is not continuous residence.


​A TWV is a work permit. The employer applies for a TWV with UWV (Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency). UWV examines among other things if there is no employee with the Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss nationality that is qualified for the job.

Dutch representation

​This is the Dutch embassy or consulate.