Residence permit cross-border service provider

Last update: 4 March 2024

With a residence permit for a cross-border service provider an employee of a European company can work temporarily in the Netherlands. Find out what the requirements are and how you can apply for this permit.

What is cross-border service provision?

Cross-border service provision means that an employee of a company will temporarily  work at a company in another country. Both companies are established in a country of the EU, EEA or Switzerland.


These requirements apply to a cross-border service provider residence permit:

  • You meet the requirements that apply to everyone.

  • You work for an employer outside the Netherlands but within the EU, EEA or Switzerland.

  • You live in that country with a residence permit. And you have a work permit that allows you to work for your foreign employer. These permits remain valid during the entire period of the work in the Netherlands.

  • You will work in the Netherlands at a client for 2 years at most. 

  • You remain employed by your foreign employer.

  • Your foreign employer must register you at the digital registration desk on the website

Process and costs

These are the steps in the application process of the residence permit:

Show details Hide details

Application forms

Written application forms

Make sure you download the right form. Fill in the form and send it by post.

Written application forms

Make sure you download the right form. Fill in the form and send it by post.

The residence permit

What else you need to know about the residence permit:

Working as a cross-border service provider

With this residence permit you are only allowed to work for the client in the Netherlands. You do not need a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV) to work for the client.

Legal obligations

As a sponsor, your employer has an obligation to provide information and an obligation to keep and retain records. You only have an obligation to provide information.

Find out more about the legal obligations of a (recognised) sponsor and the foreign national’s obligations to provide information.

The IND checks whether you meet your obligations. What if you do not? Then you can get an administrative fine.

Validity of residence permit

The residence permit is valid for the period of the work in the Netherlands. The permit is valid for 2 years at most.

Other applications

Replace residence permit

Has your residence permit been damaged, lost or stolen? Then have the residence permit replaced. Visit the web page residence permit damaged or change details or residence permit lost or stolen.

Extend residence permit

Will your residence permit expire soon? But your work is not yet finished? And you have not yet been in the Netherlands for 2 years? Then you can extend the residence permit.



Your Europe