Residence permit damaged or change of personal details

Last update: 25 January 2024

Is your residence permit, residence document, statelessness document or Foreign Nationals Identity Document damaged? Does it have the wrong personal details? Or do you want to have your employment rights changed? Find out how you can apply for a new residence permit.


Check which requirements apply to you in each situation.

Damaged residence permit

Your residence permit is so damaged that it can no longer be used as a valid proof of identity. Enclose a copy of the front and back of the damaged residence permit with your application for a replacement.

Wrong personal details on residence permit

Contact your local council. They will check whether your personal details are correct in the Personal Records Database (in Dutch: Basisregistratie Personen or BRP). If your personal details in the BRP are incorrect, then the council must first change them. Once they have been changed, you can ask the IND to replace your residence permit.

Changing employment rights on residence permit

You have accrued employment rights and you may now work without a work permit. (In Dutch a work permit is called a tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV). You can apply for a new residence document on which the following employment rights are written in Dutch: Arbeid vrij toegestaan, TWV niet vereist (Free to work. Work permit not required). This application is free of charge.

It is not possible to change employment rights on a Foreign Nationals Identity Document.

Validity of residence permit less than 1 month

Is your residence permit valid for less than 1 month? Use the following form to apply to extend your residence permit:

Write on the form that you want to have the employment status arbeid vrij toegestaan (free to work) on your new residence permit. You must pay a fee to apply to have your permit extended.


Process and costs

The process for applying for the residence permit consists of these steps:

Show details Hide details

Application forms

You can submit this application online. You must have DigiD with SMS verification and internet banking (iDEAL).Is your residence permit valid for less than 3 months? In that case you can only submit the written application form.

Online application form replacement

Written application forms

Download the form if you prefer to complete the application in writing and send it by post.