Provisional residence permit (MVV)

Last update: 1 August 2022

​If you intend to travel to the Netherlands and stay for more than 90 days, you may need a provisional residence permit (MVV) in order to enter the Netherlands. This page provides more information regarding a provisional residence permit and when you will need it.

​Who needs a provisional residence permit

Are you going to live in the Netherlands for more than 90 days? You will probably need to apply for a residence permit. One condition for a residence permit is a provisional residence permit (in Dutch: machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf or MVV). An MVV is a special visa that allows you to enter the Netherlands. You can apply for the provisional residence permit and the residence permit at the same time.

Your nationality determines whether you need an MVV

Most nationalities require a provisional residence permit before a residence permit will be issued. However, there are some exceptions. You do not need a provisional residence permit if you have the nationality of one of the following countries:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Vatican City
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America
  • South Korea
  • Switzerland
  • countries in the EU and EEA

Exemptions from obtaining a provisional residence permit

There are also situations where you do not need a provisional residence permit. For example if you are a family member of a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Check the list of exemptions for a provisional residence permit (in Dutch: machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf or MVV).

Applying for an MVV and residence permit

You can apply for a provisional residence permit and residence permit at the same time. This is called an Entry and Residence application (in Dutch: Toegang en Verblijf orTEV). You do this for a specific purpose of stay. This is the reason why you want to live in the Netherlands. Your purpose of stay could be living with a family member, study or work. Each purpose of stay has its own set of conditions that you should meet. These conditions are listed on the page about the purpose of stay. There are certain conditions that apply to everyone.

Application by a sponsor

It is often a sponsor who applies for the MVV and residence permit. A sponsor is a person or organisation that wants you to come to the Netherlands. For example the family member you are going to stay with in the Netherlands. Or a school or employer. Your sponsor applies to the IND for an MVV and residence permit. This often can be done online, but also by post.

Applying yourself

If you do not have a sponsor, you apply for the mvv and residence permit yourself. To do this, please contact the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of nationality or in your country of permanent residence. This is the country in which you are permitted to stay legally for more than 3 months because you have a valid residence permit or because you are waiting for a decision on your residence application. On you can see an overview of all countries where you can apply for the mvv offering the civic integration exam. If there is no embassy in the country where you live, you can submit your application to the Dutch embassy in a neighbouring country.

Collecting your MVV

Has your application been approved? Then you can collect your MVV from the Dutch embassy or consulate that your sponsor has specified on the application form. Or where you submitted the application yourself. Before you can collect your MVV, you have to make an appointment at the embassy. At the appointment, the embassy will inform you when you can collect your MVV. Read more information on about making an appointment online and the requirements to collect your MVV.

Please collect your provisional residence permit within 3 months of receiving a positive decision. If you do not make an appointment to collect your MVV within 3 months, you will need to follow the entire procedure again.

Passport photo and fingerprints

You also need to bring a passport photo to the appointment at the embassy. An embassy staff member will take your fingerprints. The IND uses the passport photo and fingerprints to make your residence document.

Travelling to the Netherlands

An MVV is a visa sticker (type D) in your passport. It is valid for 90 days. You should therefore travel to the Netherlands within 90 days, so you can collect your residence permit there. If your MVV expires before you arrive in the Netherlands, you will need to apply for a new one. Your provisional residence permit must still be valid on the day you collect your residence permit. Therefore, make sure you travel to the Netherlands in time.

Your Europe