The following countries are members of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA)
- Denmark (excluding the Faroe Isles and Greenland)
- France (including French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, La Reunion and Saint-Martin)- *1
- Liechtenstein - (EEA)
- The Netherlands (excluding Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba)
- Norway - (EEA)
- Portugal (including the Azores and Madeira)
- Spain (including the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands)
- Czech Republic
- Iceland - (EEA)
*1 - French overseas departments
Nationals of French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte and La Reunion are French citizens and also EU/EEA citizens.
Switzerland is not an EU/EEA member state. However, Swiss nationals have the same rights of residence as EU/EEA citizens.
Andorra, Monaco, San Marino and Vatican City
Nationals of Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City are not EU/EEA citizens.
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (including Gibraltar, excluding the Channel Islands, BNO passport holders and Isle of Man)
From 31 January 2020 the United Kingdom is no longer an EU/EEA member state. Nationals of the United Kingdom are not EU/EEA citizens.
BNO passport holders
Do you hold a BNO passport? Then, you do not need a short stay visa to travel to the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days. You do, however, need an provisional residence permit (mvv) if you intend to travel to the Netherlands and stay for more than 90 days.