Travelling with a residence permit and a return visa

Last update: 12 May 2022

You have a residence permit and want to travel abroad. You need a valid residence permit, a travel document and in some cases also a visa.

Documents for a trip abroad

You are going on a trip abroad. You need the following documents:

  • A valid travel document. For example, a passport or an identity card. This can also be an foreign national’s passport or refugee’s passport. The residence permit is not a travel document. 
  • A valid residence permit. You need the residence permit to travel back to the Netherlands. Using the residence permit, you can show that you are allowed to be in the Netherlands.
  • A visa. There are a few countries that require a visa. Always find out if you need a visa before you leave. You must apply for a visa to the embassy or consulate of the country you want to visit.

Travelling within the Schengen Area

Do you have a valid Dutch residence permit and a valid travel document? Then you do not need a visa for travel within the Schengen Area

Return visa

Are you of a nationality that requires a visa? And are you going on a trip abroad, but your residence permit is temporarily no longer valid? Then you may need a return visa to travel back to the Netherlands. With the return visa, you can show that you are allowed to be in the Netherlands. Find out more about the return visa.