Residence permit honour-based or domestic violence

Last update: 13 November 2023

You do not have a residence permit and you are the victim of, or have been threatened with honour-based violence or domestic violence. As a result the relationship or family bond has ended. You may be able to get a residence permit.


Requirements honour-based violence 

  • You have been threatened with honour-based violence in the Netherlands and in the country of origin. Your country of origin is the country of your nationality. Honour-based violence means that your family has threatened you with violence because they say you have damaged the family honour.
  • The threat is real (genuine) and cannot be removed in the short term. 
  • The threat of honour-based violence is sufficiently serious. This is the case in these situations:
    • Crimes that seriously threaten your life or the lives of your children. For example, if you or your children are being forced to commit suicide.
    • You are the victim of, or threatened with mutilation, abuse or deprivation of your liberty or the liberty of your children. 
    • You have been cast out, as a result you cannot support yourself independently. This means that you cannot live in your country of origin without help from other people.
    • You are the victim of child abduction.
    • Violence that leads to a very serious situation (distressing circumstances). For example if you are being separated from your child by force or forced into marriage.

Requirements domestic violence

  • You are the victim of, or threatened with domestic violence.
  • The domestic violence has led to  the breakdown of the marriage or relationship. This requirement does not apply if you are under 18.
  • The domestic violence has nothing to do with honour or honour killing.
  • The domestic violence will not stop if you go to live in your country of origin.

Process and costs

These are the steps in the application process for the residence permit:

Show details Hide details

Application forms

Written application forms

Download the application form, fill it in and send it by post.

The residence permit

Find out what else you need to know about the residence permit:

Working with the residence permit

You are free to work in the Netherlands. Your employer does not need a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV). It says on the back of the residence permit: ‘Free to work. Work permit not required’ (in Dutch: Arbeid vrij toegestaan. TWV niet vereist). 

Legal obligations

You have an obligation to provide information. This means that you must notify the IND of changes in your situation. Read more about your obligation to provide information

The IND checks whether you meet your obligations. If you do not, you may get an administrative fine

Validity of residence permit

If you do not have a residence permit now, the temporary humanitarian residence permit is valid for 1 year.

Do you already have a residence permit to live with a family member or relative? The non-temporary humanitarian residence permit is valid for 5 years. 

Other applications

Replacement of the residence permit

Has your residence permit been damaged, lost or stolen? Then have the residence permit replaced. Visit the web page residence permit damaged or change of personal details  or residence permit lost or stolen.

Apply for a different residence permit

Have you had a temporary humanitarian residence permit for 1 year? Then you can change your residence permit to the residence permit on ‘independent humanitarian non-temporary grounds’

Permanent residence permit

Have you had a residence permit on non-temporary humanitarian grounds for 5 years? Then you can apply for a permanent residence permit.