Second or following asylum application

Last update: 8 January 2024

You want to apply for asylum again in the Netherlands. For example, because something has changed in your country of origin or personal situation. Find out how to apply for a repeat asylum application (in Dutch: herhaalde asielaanvraag). 


The following requirements apply to you:

  • You are in the Netherlands.
  • You applied for asylum in the Netherlands before. The IND rejected this application, or the IND withdrew your asylum residence permit.
  • There are new elements and findings relevant to your situation. For example, events have changed your personal situation or the situation in your country of origin. The new information can also be a policy change or a court judgment. 


The application process for the residence permit consists of the following steps:

Show details Hide details
  • 1. Check requirements open minus
  • 2. Collect documents open minus
  • 3. Apply open minus
  • 4. Application check open minus
  • 5. Interview or not open minus
  • 6. Decision on application open minus
  • 7. Collect residence permit open minus

Application form

Written application forms

(Application for a second or subsequent asylum application, only available in Dutch)

The residence permit

There are some other things you need to know about your residence permit.

Working with your residence permit

You are free to work in the Netherlands. Your employer does not need a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV). On the back of your residence permit it says ‘Free to work. Work permit not required' (in Dutch: Arbeid vrij toegestaan. TWV niet vereist). TWV stands for tewerkstellingsvergunning which means work permit in Dutch.

Legal obligations

You have an obligation to provide information. This means that you must inform the IND of changes in your situation. Read more about your obligation to provide information

The IND checks whether you meet this obligation. If you do not, you can get may get an administrative fine.

Validity of residence permit

A temporary asylum residence permit is valid for 5 years. 

Other applications

Replacement of the residence permit

Has the residence permit been damaged, lost or stolen? Then have the residence permit replaced. Go to the page residence permit damaged or change of personal details or residence permit lost or stolen.

Extend the residence permit 

Will your residence permit expire soon? Then you can extend your residence permit.

Permanent residence permit

Have you had a temporary asylum residence permit for 5 years? Then you can apply for a permanent asylum residence permit.