Residence permit for seasonal work

Last update: 18 December 2023

With a residence permit for seasonal work, you can work in the Netherlands in the agricultural sector for up to 24 weeks. Find out what the requirements are and how you can apply for the seasonal work residence permit.

What is seasonal work?

Seasonal work is temporary work in agriculture or horticulture. A residence permit for seasonal work is only required for seasonal workers from outside the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. The permit is a single permit for both residency and work (in Dutch: gecombineerde vergunning voor verblijf en arbeid or GVVA). This means that the IND must always ask the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) for a recommendation.

Employer: sponsor or recognised sponsor

Your employer in the Netherlands is your sponsor. The IND can also recognise your employer as a sponsor. Recognition is not required for the seasonal work residence permit.


These are the requirements for a residence permit for seasonal work:

  • You meet the requirements that apply to everyone.

  • You will be working as a seasonal worker in agriculture or horticulture for no more than 24 weeks.

  • You meet the income requirements.

  • You have not been in the Netherlands illegally in the 3 years before your application.

  • You will work for a Dutch company or organisation. Or for the Dutch branch of a foreign company.

  • Your employer’s company or organisation is registered in the Commercial Register of the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (in Dutch: Kamer van Koophandel or KvK). This only applies if this registration is compulsory under the Commercial Register Act 2007 (in Dutch: Handelsregisterwet 2007).

  • Your employer has first looked for an employee in the Netherlands and the EU/EEA member states. The employer has reported a vacancy for this purpose to an employer’s service point of the Employee Insurance Agency (in Dutch: Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen or UWV).

  • Your employer will pay the standard wage that applies under the collective labour agreement (CAO) for this organisation or company.

  • Your employer arranges proper housing for you.


Process and costs

These are the steps in the application process for the residence permit:

Show details Hide details

Application forms

Written application forms

Download the correct form. Fill in the form and send it by post.
You are an employer and non-recognised sponsor (only available in Dutch):

Written application forms

Download the correct form. Fill in the form and send it by post.
You are an employer and non-recognised sponsor (only available in Dutch):

The residence permit

Find out what else you need to know about the single permit (GVVA).

TB test

Did you or your employer indicate at the time of the application that you will take a TB (tuberculosis) test? Then make an appointment with the public health service (in Dutch: Gemeenschappelijke Gezondheidsdienst or GGD). Do this within 3 months after you have received your residence permit. Bring this appendix to the appointment:

Working with the residence permit for seasonal work

The GVVA consists of a residence permit and a supplementary document. On the residence permit, it says in Dutch, 'Arbeid toegestaan conform aanvullend document' (work permitted as per supplementary document). The supplementary document also says for which employer you are allowed to work. And under which conditions you may work. With the residence document and supplementary document, you may live and work for your employer in the Netherlands. Your employer will receive a copy of the supplementary document.

Legal obligations

As a recognised or non-recognised sponsor, your employer has the obligation to provide information and keep records. Only the obligation to provide information applies to you.

Find out more about the legal obligations of the sponsor or recognised sponsor and the foreign national’s obligation to provide information.

The IND checks whether you meet your obligations. If you do not, you may get an administrative fine.

Validity of residence permit

The GVVA is valid for up to 24 weeks. The GVVA is never valid for longer than the supplementary document.

Other applications

Replace residence permit

Has your residence permit been damaged, lost or stolen? Then have your residence permit replaced. Visit the web page Residence permit damaged or change details or Residence permit lost or stolen.

Your Europe