Categories of recognition as sponsor
You can apply for recognition as a sponsor for the following 4 categories.
- Study: applications for residence permits for the purpose of study.
- Exchange: applications for residence permits for the purpose of au pair and cultural exchange.
- Research: applications for residence permits for the purpose of research under Directive (EU) 2016/801.
- Work: applications for residence permits for the purpose of work as a highly-skilled migrant, work in paid employment, seasonal labour, gaining work experience, intra-corporate transfer or residence as the holder of a European Blue Card.
Do you want to become a recognised sponsor for more than one category? In that case you must apply separately for each recognition category.
Do you want to apply for recognition for each business unit or faculty? In that case you have to apply for recognition for each branch or business unit.
Recognition is sometimes mandatory
Recognition is mandatory if you want to apply for these residence purposes as a company, school or organisation.
- Au pair
- Highly-skilled migrant
- Researchers under Directive (EU) 2016/801
An exception applies to highly-skilled migrants and researchers with Turkish nationality.
And recognition is not mandatory, but it is possible for these residence purposes.
- Regular work in paid employment
- Seasonal work
- Gaining work experience
- Intra-company transfer
- Holder of a European Blue Card
For these residence purposes, you can choose whether or not to have your organisation recognised as a sponsor.
Advantages of recognition as sponsor
Recognition as a sponsor has several advantages.
- The IND processes your applications faster. The IND tries to decide on an application within 2 weeks. In some cases the target period is 7 weeks, for example if a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning) is needed.
- You need to enclose fewer supporting documents with the application.
- You can apply for residence permits online via the Business Portal.
You are not obligated to submit a minimum or maximum number of applications per year. However. the IND may withdraw the recognition if you do not act as a sponsor for foreign nationals and have not had a residence permit or mvv granted on behalf of a foreign national for over 3 years.
There are general requirements for applying for recognition as a sponsor that apply to all categories. In addition, extra requirements also apply to the categories research, study and exchange.
General conditions in applying for recognition as a sponsor
The following conditions apply to your organisation:
- Your organisation is registered in the Commercial Register in the Netherlands (in Dutch: Handelsregister). This is not necessary if not required under the Commercial Register Act 2007 (Hrw 2007).
- The continuity and solvency of your organisation is sufficiently guaranteed.
- Your organisation is not insolvent or has not been granted suspension of payment.
- Your organisation, directors and officers and other natural persons and legal entities involved in your organisation are reliable.
- Your organisation complies with the Code of Conduct that applies to your organisation. Does your organisation carry out activities such as assigning personnel for payment? Then your organisation must be listed in the register of the Labour Standards Foundation (SNA).
Additional requirements per category
Extra requirements to become a recognised sponsor apply to the categories research, study and exchange.
Process and costs
These are the steps in the application process for recognition.
1. Check requirementsopen minus
1. Check requirementsopen minus
2. Collect documentsopen minus
3. Applyopen minus
4. Pay for applicationopen minus
2. Wait for decision on applicationopen minus
5. Wait for decision on applicationopen minus
6. Decision on applicationopen minus
7. Entry in public registeropen minus
Rules and regulations
All rules and regulations are only in Dutch.
Reasons to deny recognition: Artikel 2e Vreemdelingenwet (Vw 2000)
Suspension and withdrawal recognition: Artikel 2f Vreemdelingenwet (Vw 2000)
Recognition as sponsor and application for recognition: Hoofdstuk 1, Afdeling 3 Vreemdelingenbesluit (Vb 2000)
Recognition as sponsor: Hoofdstuk 1, Afdeling 2 Voorschrift Vreemdelingen (VV 2000)
Application recognition and suspension: B1/2 Vreemdelingencirculaire (Vc 2000)
Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst