International Trade Regulation

Last update: 18 December 2023

You want to apply for a residence permit for paid employment under the International Trade Regulation. Via the International Trade Regulation you can come to the Netherlands and work temporarily without a work permit. Find out what the requirements are and how to apply for the residence permit.


These requirements apply to you and your employer:

  • You meet the general requirements that apply to everyone
  • You are going to work temporarily in the Netherlands for a process that the Employee Insurance Agency (in Dutch: Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen or UWV) has approved for the International Trade Regulation. If you will work in the Netherlands for less than 3 months, you do not need a residence permit. 
  • Your employer has registered you with the UWV.

Read more about the International Trade Regulation and the process at UWV (only available in Dutch). 

Process and costs

These are the steps in the application process for the residence permit:

Show details Hide details

The residence permit

What else you need to know about the residence permit:

TB test

Did you indicate at the time of the application that you will take a TB (tuberculosis) test? Then make an appointment with the public health service (in Dutch: Gemeenschappelijke Gezondheidsdienst or GGD). Do this within 3 months after you have received your residence permit. Take  with you to the appointment:

Working with the residence permit

It says on the back of your residence permit whether you are allowed to work. Your residence permit says ‘Work permit not required for specific work, other work allowed if a work permit has been granted’ (in Dutch: TWV niet vereist voor specifieke arbeid, andere arbeid toegestaan mits TWV is verleend). This means that you are allowed to work without a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV) via the International Trade Regulation. But you do need a TWV for other work.

Legal obligations

As a sponsor, your employer has an obligation to provide information and an obligation to keep and retain records. Is your employer a recognised sponsor? Then your employer also has a duty of care. You only have an obligation to provide information. 

Read more about the legal obligations of the (recognised) sponsor and the foreign national’s obligation to provide information

The IND checks whether you meet your obligations. What if you do not? Then you can get an administrative fine.

Validity of residence permit

The period of validity of your residence permit is 3 years at most.

Other applications

Replace residence permit

Has your residence permit been damaged, lost or stolen? Then have the residence permit replaced. Visit the web page Residence permit damaged or change of personal details  or Residence permit lost or stolen.

Extend residence permit

Will your residence permit expire soon? Then you can extend your residence permit.

Permanent residence permit

Have you had a residence permit for 5 years? Then you can apply for a permanent residence permit.