Residence with your minor Dutch child (Chavez)

Last update: 19 May 2022

If you are a non-EU parent, you need a residence document to live with your minor Dutch child. You will need to submit an application to the IND under the Chavez judgment. Read what the conditions are and how you can apply for the document.


These requirements apply to you and your child:

  • You are the parent of a minor Dutch child (your child is under 18 years old). You may also be the step-parent, foster parent or NIDOS-appointed foster parent of the child.
  • You are not a danger to public order and safety.
  • You do not have the nationality of a European Union (EU) or EEA Member State or Switzerland: you are a non-EU parent. Nor do you have lawful residence in any of these countries.
  • You have a valid passport or other travel document with which you can prove your identity.
  • You care for your child and are responsible for their upbringing. You may do so together with your child’s other parent. If you only help with your child’s care and upbringing now and then, this is not sufficient.
  • Your child is heavily dependent on you. This means that if you do not obtain a residence document, your child will have no choice but to leave the EU together with you.
  • Your child lives in the Netherlands and is registered in the Personal Records Database (in Dutch: Basisregistratie Personen or BRP). This is the population register of the municipality where your child lives.

Process and costs

The process for the application for the residence document consists of these steps:

Show details Hide details

Application forms

Download the written application form:

The residence document

What else you need to know about your residence document:

Working with your residence document

You are free to work in the Netherlands. Your employer does not need a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV). On the back of your residence it says in Dutch Arbeid vrij toegestaan, TWV niet vereist (Free to work. Work permit not required).

Other applications

Replace residence document

Has your residence document been damaged, lost or stolen? Then have the residence permit replaced. Go to the page residence permit damaged or change details or residence permit lost or stolen.

Renew residence document

Will your residence document expire soon? Then you can renew the residence document. Please use the form:

Not possible to obtain permanent residency or get Dutch citizenship

You cannot get permanent residency with a residence document for residence with a minor Dutch child. Nor can you get Dutch citizenship.

 Has your child turned 18 and do you want to stay in the Netherlands? Then see if you meet the requirements for a different residence permit.