Registering with the IND as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

Last update: 4 July 2023

Do you have the nationality of a country outside of the EU, EEA or Switzerland? Then you sometimes do not need a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands. You do have to register with the IND sometimes. Read when you should register with the IND and how you do this.

When is registering with the IND obligatory

As a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you only have to register with the IND in the following situation:

You have stayed in the Netherlands before as a Union citizen. But the IND has ended this residency. In the Personal Records Database (in Dutch: Basisregistratie Personen or BRP) you are registered with code 41. This code means that you do not have the right of residency in the Netherlands. 


Process and costs

Show details Hide details
  • 1. Check requirements open minus
  • 2. Collect documents open minus
  • 3. Apply open minus
  • 4. Pay for application open minus
  • 5. Decision on request for registration open minus
  • 6. Collect registration card open minus
Your Europe