Action programme EU

You wish to gain work experience in the Netherlands within the framework of an action programme of the European Union (for example ErasmusPlus). You need a residence permit for this.

​Are you going to do a traineeship or gain work experience as an apprentice, but not within the framework of an action programme of the European Union (EU)? Other conditions apply to you.

To gain work experience within the framework of an action programme of the EU
You can use the action programme of the EU to work in order to finish your study. You are a trainee. Or you can use the action programme of the EU to gain work experience. You are an apprentice.

Your employer can choose to become a recognised sponsor. This is not obligatory. Recognition as sponsor has various advantages.

Other conditions apply to persons with the nationality of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and their family members. 


There are certain conditions that apply to everyone. In addition, you and your employer have to meet the following conditions:

  • You are temporarily going to work in the Netherlands within the framework of an action programme of the EU.
  • You will earn sufficient income. Next to your traineeship fee you may also count your own income. An example of your income is a scholarship or grant.

Other conditions may apply for Turkish nationals and their family members.


This application costs € 290. 

Checklist documents

The application form lists the documents that you must enclose with the application.

After the application

Collect your residence permit

The IND aims to have your residence permit ready within 2 weeks following your arrival in the Netherlands. The IND will send you a letter indicating when you can collect your residence permit. For this, you have to make an appointment online at the IND desk stated in the letter. Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice. Therefore, please schedule an appointment in time.

Check to see if the information on your residence permit is correct while you are still at the IND desk. If something is incorrect, please inform the IND staff member at once.

Registration with the municipality

Upon arrival in the Netherlands, you must register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP)  in the municipality you are going to live.

To register with the municipality you need a legalised and translated  birth certificate. Take this therefore with you when you travel to the Netherlands.

Please contact your municipality in advance to check which (legalised and translated) documents/ certificates you need to take with you.

TB test

You have indicated your intent to undergo a tuberculosis test (TB test) when you applied. You have to make an appointment for this with the Area Health Authority (GGD). You do this within 3 months after having received your residence permit. Please take the 'TB test referral form' with you to the appointment.

In some cases you are exempt from taking a TB test.

Take out health insurance

Anyone living in the Netherlands must take out health insurance. You do this within 4 months following your arrival in the Netherlands.

Period of validity

​The period of validity of your residence permit is the same as the length of the work, though no more than 1 year.

Right to work

The back of your residence permit shows if you are allowed to work.

Your residence permit states 'TWV niet vereist voor specifieke arbeid, andere arbeid niet toegestaan'. This means that with this residence permit your are only allowed to do work within the framework of the action programme of the European Union. You are not allowed to do other work.

Further applications (including return visa)

Replace residence permit

Is your residence permit damaged, lost or stolen? In that case, have the residence permit replaced.

Extend residence permit

Is your residence permit due to expire soon? Apply for an extension. Please note your residence permit is issued for no more than 1 year. It is not possible to extend this maximum period of validity of 1 year.

Change residence permit

Has something changed in your situation that influences your residence permit? Please report this immediately to the IND. It may mean that the residence permit has to be changed.

Return visa

You have applied for a residence permit and are awaiting the decision. Your mvv or (current) residence permit is no longer valid. You can await the decision on your application in the Netherlands. If you want to travel you might need a return visa to re-enter the Netherlands.

Legal obligations

There are a number of legal obligations that apply to you and your employer.

The IND monitors your compliance with these legal obligations. Failure to meet these legal obligations may have consequences.

Provisional residence permit (mvv)

​The provisional residence permit (mvv) is a visa you need if you wish to stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days. For more information, check Regular provisional residence permit (mvv).

Dutch representation

​This is the Dutch embassy or consulate.

Country of continuous residence

​A country of continuous residence is a country (other than the country of origin) where you may lawfully live for more than 3 months. This means you have a valid residence permit for that country. Or that you are waiting for your application for a residence permit to be approved.

Are you in a country in your free term? Or with a visa for short stay (maximum of 3 months)? This is not continuous residence.


​A TWV is a work permit. The employer applies for a TWV with UWV (Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency). UWV examines among other things if there is no employee with the Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss nationality that is qualified for the job.

formal decision

​A formal letter with the decision on your application.