Apply for a residence permit long-term resident EU

Last check: 10-03-2021
A residence permit long-term resident EU entitles you to live in the Netherlands for an indefinite period. That means you can continue to live in the Netherlands for as long as you like. On this page you can read about the conditions and how to apply for the residence permit. 


Who can apply for a residence permit long-term resident EU

You have a permanent residence permit or a temporary residence permit with a non-temporary purpose. A non-temporary purpose means that you can keep renewing the residence permit. You want a residence permit that will allow you to apply more easily for a residence permit in one of the other European Union countries that issues a long-term resident's EU residence permit.

Conditions for long-term resident EU

The following conditions apply to the residence permit long-term resident EU:

  • You have lived in the Netherlands with a valid Dutch residence permit for at least 5 consecutive years immediately prior to the application. You had a valid residence permit for the whole of that 5-year period. That means you always applied to renew your permit on time.
  • Over that 5-year period you were not outside the Netherlands for 6 or more consecutive months or 10 or more months in total.
  • You have always fulfilled and continue to fulfil the conditions of your residence permit.
  • You have a residence permit with a non-temporary purpose. If you previously had a residence permit for a temporary purpose, the years during which you held that temporary residence permit do not count. Any years during which you had a study residence permit are counted at a level of 50%.
  • You have an independent, sufficient and sustainable income. You can include the income of the family member you are living with. Find out more about the income requirement for permanent residence.
  • You have followed the integration process in the Netherlands. That means you can read, write, speak and understand Dutch at a sufficient level. You can prove this by presenting an integration or other diploma. Find out more about integration in the Netherlands.
  • You are entered in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) in your place of residence (local authority). You do not have to demonstrate this yourself. The IND will check whether you fulfil this condition.
  • You have a valid passport.
  • You do not pose a threat to public order or national security.

Documents you need

You need to submit documents to demonstrate that you fulfil the conditions. You need the following documents to apply for a residence permit long-term resident EU:

All the appendices mentioned are also included with the written application form.

Legalisation and translation of official foreign documents

Official foreign documents must be legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German. Find out more about legalised and translating foreign documents.

Online application form

You can start the application process from 3 months before your residence permit expires. Have you already had a residence permit in the Netherlands for more than 5 years? You can submit the application now.

For your online application you need:

Please note!  If you have an asylum residence permit (type III or IV), please use the written application form.

Written application forms

There are two application forms:

You currently have a regular permit (type I or II)

You currently have an asylum permit (type III or IV)

How to submit your written application

  1. Download and print out the form.
  2. Fill in the form and the appendices.
  3. Put the application form, the appendices and the documents into a single envelope. Never send original documents to the IND. Make clearly legible copies.
  4. Send the application to the IND. The address is shown on the application form.

Cost of application

The costs of the application for a long-term resident's EU residence permit are [Verblijfsvergunning onbepaalde tijd regulier uitzonderingsbedrag2].

The following persons pay a lower amount:

  • A person with Turkish nationality pays [Verblijfsvergunning onbepaalde tijd Turkse onderdaan uitzonderingsbedrag2].
  • A child under the age of 18 pays € 64.
  • A child under the age of 18 with Turkish nationality pays € 33.

Payment when you apply online

Are you submitting the application online? In that case, you pay the costs of your application (fee) using the iDEAL payment system before you submit your online application. 

Payment when you apply in writing

Are you submitting the application in writing? In that case, the IND will send a request to pay the application costs (fees) by letter. 

Decision on your application

The IND has 6 months to decide on your application for a long-term resident EU residence permit. his period is called the decision period. It is specified by law. You will receive a letter stating the date by which the IND will decide on the application.

Track your application in My IND

You can track the application in My IND. Find out more about My IND and log in.

Positive or negative decision

Once the IND has assessed your application, you will receive the decision. This will be presented in a letter and will be positive or negative. 

  • Positive decision: you will receive a residence permit long-term resident EU. You will receive a letter when your residence document is ready. Then first make an appointment online to collect your residence document.
  • Negative decision: you will not receive a residence permit long-term resident EU. The reasons for that will be explained in the decision. 

Permanent residence permit or extension

Do you not meet the conditions for long-term resident EU? And do you not yet have a permanent residence permit? The IND will assess whether you do need the conditions for a regular or asylum permanent residence permit. Do you also not meet the conditions for a permanent residence permit? Then the IND will extend your temporary residence permit, providing that you still need the conditions for that permit. You do not have to submit a new application for this.

Apply for review of the decision

You can apply for review of the decision within 4 weeks. The decision letter explains how to do this. Find out more about applying for review or appealing a decision from the IND.

The IND decides late

Has the decision period passed and you have still not received a decision on your application or review? Then the IND is late in deciding. Find out what you can do if the IND is late with its decision.

Validity of the residence permit long-term resident EU 

A residence permit long-term resident EU  gives you a right of permanent residence. That means your right to live in the Netherlands remains valid even if your residence document expires. The residence document itself is valid for 5 years. After 5 years you can renew your document.

Working in the Netherlands with a long-term resident's EU residence permit

If you hold this type of residence permit, you can work freely in the Netherlands. Your employer will not require a separate work permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV) for you. The back of the residence permit states: 'arbeid vrij toegestaan. TWV niet vereist' (Free to work. No work permit required).

If your long-term resident's EU residence permit is no longer valid, you can continue to work. If a company or organisation asks for proof of lawful residence, you can apply for an Article 9 letter from the IND desk. Make an appointment by telephone to obtain an Article 9 letter. To obtain the Article 9 letter, you need to apply to renew your residence document first.

Almost the same rights as a Dutch national

If you have a residence permit long-term resident EU, you have almost the same rights as a person with Dutch nationality. The main differences are:

  • You are not allowed to vote in national elections;
  • You are not allowed to work in certain specific sectors, e.g. the police or army. If you wish to do so, you need to apply for Dutch nationality first.

Legal obligations

You have to comply with a number of legal obligations. Find out which legal obligations you need to comply with.

Rules and regulations

Go straight to


Immigration and Naturalisation Service