Apply for a residence permit seasonal work

Last check: 07-09-2021

A residence permit for seasonal work allows someone to work in the agricultural sector in the Netherlands for a maximum of 6 months. Find out on this page what the conditions are and how to apply for a residence permit.


Who can apply for a residence permit for seasonal work

A residence permit for seasonal work is a combined work and residence permit (or single permit). It is only for workers who are nationals of a country outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Find out which countries are in the EU and EEA. The information on this page applies to one of the following situations:

  1. You wish to work for a Dutch company in the agriculture or horticulture sector for a maximum of 24 weeks.
  2. You are an employer in the agricultural or horticultural sector. You wish to hire a foreign worker to do seasonal work for your company for a maximum of 24 weeks.

Employer: sponsor or recognised sponsor

If you are hiring a foreign worker, then you are the sponsor of that worker. As an employer, you can become a recognised sponsor. Recognised sponsors can easily and quickly apply for residence permits for employees and their family members. Employers do not have to become a recognised sponsor to hire seasonal workers: becoming a recognised sponsor is completely voluntary. Find out more about applying to the IND to become a recognised sponsor.

General conditions for a residence permit

There are some general conditions which apply to everyone who applies for a residence permit

Conditions for seasonal work

The following conditions also apply for the residence permit for seasonal work:

  • The worker will carry out seasonal work in the Netherlands for a maximum of 24 weeks.
  • The worker will earn sufficient income. Check the income requirement.
  • The worker has not been in the Netherlands illegally in the 3 years prior to the application.
  • The employer is a company or organisation established in the Netherlands, or the official Dutch branch of a foreign company.
  • The employer is registered in the Commercial Register of the Chamber of Commerce in the Netherlands (if required by the Commercial Registers Act 2007).

You can find more information on the conditions under the Labour Act for Aliens (Wet arbeid vreemdelingen or Wav) on (in Dutch).

Turkish nationals and their family members

Find out which other conditions may apply to Turkish citizens and their family members.

Documents you need

You need certain documents to show that you meet the conditions for a residence permit for seasonal work. To apply for a residence permit for seasonal work, you need the following documents:

  • Copy of the page containing the worker's personal details and the period of validity of their passport.
  • The antecedents certificate. This appendix is part of the application form. The worker must complete the antecedents certificate in full and sign it.
  • Copy of the worker's draft or signed employment contract.
  • The completed and signed Verklaring referent (arbeid) (Appendix Declaration by sponsor (employment). This appendix is part of the application form. The employer must complete this appendix.
  • Fully completed appendix Bijlage vacature voorziening (Appendix vacancy provisions, only available in Dutch). This appendix is part of the application form.

Legalisation and translation of official foreign documents

Official foreign documents must be legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French, or German. Find out more about legalising and translating foreign documents.

Provisional residence permit (mvv)

To travel to the Netherlands, your worker needs a visa. This visa is called a provisional residence permit, or mvv (machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf). In some situations, an mvv is not required. Find out more about the mvv and when you do not need one.

Combined residence and employment permit or single permit (GVVA)

To work in the Netherlands, a seasonal worker needs a residence permit and a work permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV). The residence permit and work permit are applied for together as a single permit (gecombineerde vergunning voor verblijf en arbeid or GVVA). The IND will assess the application. For the work permit, the IND will request advice from the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV).

Application forms

The easiest way is for the employer (sponsor) to apply. However, the worker (foreign national) can also apply themselves. You can apply for the provisional residence permit (mvv) and the work permit at the same time. You can only apply in writing. There are different application forms.

Application form for recognised sponsors

Application form for sponsors

Please note: If the worker is a long-term EU resident in another EU country, please use the application form on the web page Long-term EU resident.

Application form for foreign nationals

If you need a provisional residence permit (mvv) and you wish to apply for the mvv yourself? Please contact the Dutch representation in order to schedule an appointment to submit your application. For this, please use this application form:

If you do not need an mvv, you apply at the IND in the Netherlands. For this, please use this application form:

Please note: If you are a long-term EU resident in another EU country, then please use the application form on the web page Long-term EU resident.

How to submit your written application

If you or your sponsor apply for a residence permit at the IND in the Netherlands, please follow these steps:

  1. Download and print the form.
  2. Complete the form. Also complete the appendix or appendices that apply to your situation.
  3. Put the application form, appendices and supporting documents in one envelope. Never send original documents to the IND. Make clear copies that are easy to read.
  4. Send your application to the IND. The address is on the application form.

Cost of application for seasonal work

The employer pays for the application. If the employer is a recognised sponsor, they can pay by direct debit. Otherwise, the IND will send a request to pay the application costs (fees) by letter.

The application for a residence permit for seasonal work costs € 192.

Decision on your application

The IND has 90 days to decide on your application for a combined residence and employment permit (GVVA). This period is called the decision period. It is specified by law. The employer will receive a letter stating the date by which the IND will decide on the application.

For recognised sponsors, the IND tries to decide within 2 weeks

The IND tries to process an application from a recognised sponsor within 2 weeks. However, the application must be complete.

Track your application online

Apply for review of the decision

Employers can apply for review of the decision within 4 weeks. The decision letter explains how to do this. Find out more about applying for review or appealing a decision from the IND.

If the IND decides late

Has the decision period passed and you have still not received a decision on your application or review? Then the IND is late in deciding. Find out what you can do if the IND is late with its decision.

Validity of the residence permit for seasonal work

How long your residence permit is valid for depends on the advice given by the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV). The permit is valid for a maximum of 24 weeks.

Working in the Netherlands as a seasonal worker

This residence permit allows the seasonal worker to work under the conditions given in the supplementary document. The supplementary document is an extra document provided with the residence permit. It includes the conditions under which the seasonal worker is permitted to work. The back of the residence permit states: Arbeid toegestaan conform aanvullend document (Work permitted according to supplementary document).

Legal obligations

The worker and the employer must comply with several legal obligations.

Rules and regulations

Go straight to


Immigration and Naturalisation Service