These requirements apply to you and your family member:
- You have an asylum residence permit.
- You can only submit this application for the following family members:
- Your husband or wife;
- Your partner;
- Your child or foster child;
- Your parents. You can only submit an application for your parents if you were unaccompanied and under 18 when you submitted your asylum application.
- You apply for the MVV for your family member within 3 months after you obtained your asylum residence permit. This is the journey in connection with family reunification period
- Your family member is part of your family and was already part of your family abroad.
- Are you applying for the MVV for your partner, husband or wife? Then both of you must be aged 18 or older.
- Your family member has not committed an offense or crime.
- You declare that you are the sponsor for your family member. The sponsor is the person who brings the family member to the Netherlands.
- Is there a parent who stays behind in the country of origin? And does that parent have custody of the child? Then, that parent who stays behind has to sign a permission statement. With it, the parent gives permission for child´s departure to the Netherlands.
- You must prove the identity of your family member and the family relationship with documents.
Suitable place of residence for family of refugees
Does the IND take a positive decision on your application for family reunification? Your family members are allowed to collect the mvv when you have a suitable place of residence. Or if a period of up to 15 months has passed after the start date of your application. Read more about a suitable place of residence for family of refugees.
The application process for the residence permit consists of the following steps:
1. Check requirementsopen minus
2. Collect documentsopen minus
1. Applyopen minus
3. Applyopen minus
4. Pay for the applicationopen minus
5. Wait for the decision on the applicationopen minus
6. Decision on the applicationopen minus
7. Pick up MVV and travel to the Netherlandsopen minus
8. Registration in the Netherlandsopen minus
You can submit this application online. You must have DigiD with SMS verification and internet banking (iDEAL).
Online Application for a 'Regular Provisional Residence permit - persons making a journey in connection with family reunification with an asylum seeker'
Written application forms
Registering family members in Zevenaar
Zevenaar or Ter Apel
Do you live in an appropriate place of residence? After arriving in the Netherlands, your family member has to report to the application centre in Zevenaar. Your home is appropriate if it is approved for all your family members to live in.
Do you still live in a COA registration centre (i.e. application centre)? Or has your home not yet been approved? Then your family member has to register in Ter Apel.
Appropriate place of residence: make an appointment for family members in Zevenaar
You live in an appropriate place of residence. Within 3 days after arriving in the Netherlands, your family members reports themselves to the application centre in Zevenaar. You can only do this by appointment. Making an appointment is free of charge. Spending the night at Zevenaar is not possible.
Important information when making the appointment
- Only make an appointment after booking your family members’ flight/travel to the Netherlands.
- Make an appointment for all family members who need to register in Zevenaar. Fill out the V-numbers and the first names and surnames of all your travelling family members.
- Fill out your e-mail address. This could also be the e-mail address of your counsellor from the Dutch Counsel for Refugees (VWN).
Adress IND Zevenaar
The address of IND Zevenaar is: Ringbaan-Zuid 2A, 6905 DB Zevenaar. You and your family member have to report at the E-gebouw Aanmeld Nareis (E Building). The opening hours and a route description can be found on the page IND desks and locations.
Cancelling appointment Zevenaar
What if the appointment made in Zevenaar cannot go through? For example, because your family member arrives in the Netherlands later than planned? Then cancel the appointment via the link in the e-mail confirming your appointment. As soon as this is possible, make a new appointment for your family member.
The IND can also cancel an appointment. For example, if your travelling family member has to register in Ter Apel. Or if you are not a sponsor or family member of a refugee.
No appropriate place of residence: registration family members of refugees in Ter Apel
You still live in a COA registration centre (i.e. application centre). Or your home has not yet been approved. Your family member has to register in Ter Apel. They must do this within 3 days after arriving in the Netherlands. Registration in Ter Apel is possible at any time and without an appointment.
Adress IND Ter Apel
The address of IND Ter Apel is: Ter Apelervenen 3, 9561 MC Ter Apel. A route description can be found on the page IND desks and locations.
During the registration in Zevenaar or Ter Apel
Your family member will receive the decision and usually the residence permit from the IND. Would you like to know what happens during registration in Zevenaar or Ter Apel? Read the information at step 8 Pick up the residence permit on our page about the process for family members of refugees.
The residence permit
Find out what else you need to know about the residence permit:
Your family member will receive a derivative residence permit
Your family member will receive a derivative asylum residence permit. This means that the residence of your family member depends on your asylum residence permit. The IND can withdraw your family member’s residence permit if there is no longer a family relationship with you. For example, if your family member is a child who will go and live on their own within a year.
Your family member can apply for an independent asylum residence permit
Your family member may also apply for asylum in the Netherlands on their own. The IND then assesses whether your family member has a right to an independent asylum residence permit. If that is not the case, your family member will often still receive the derivative asylum residence permit.
Working with the residence permit
Your family member may work in the Netherlands with a temporary derivative residence permit. Their employer does not need a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV). On the back of the residence permit it says ‘Free to work. Work permit is not required (in Dutch: Arbeid vrij toegestaan. TWV niet vereist). TWV stands for tewerkstellingsvergunning which means work permit in Dutch.
A sponsor has an obligation to provide information and an administrative obligation. Your family member has an obligation to provide information. Read more about the legal obligations of the sponsor for a family member and the foreign national’s obligation to provide information.
The IND checks whether you meet your obligations. Are you violating your obligations? You then may get an administrative fine.
Validity of the residence permit
Your family member’s residence permit is valid for 5 years.
Replacement of the residence permit
Has your family member’s residence permit been damaged, lost or stolen? Then, have the residence permit replaced. Go to the page residence permit damaged or change of personal details or residence permit lost or stolen.
Extend the residence permit
Will your family member’s residence permit expire soon? Then, your family member can extend the residence permit
Permanent residence permit
Has your family member had a residence permit for 5 years? Then, your family member can apply for a permanent residence permit.