Due to a malfunction some pages do not show all content. We are working on a solution. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Intra Corporate Transferees (Directive 2014/66/EU)

You work for a company established outside the European Union (EU) and you are going to be transferred to a branch in the Netherlands.​ You need a residence permit for this.

Within the framework of intra EU-mobility, subject to certain conditions, you can also be transferred to a branche of this company within another EU Member State, which has implemented the Directive (Denmark, the United Kingdom and Ireland do not participate). 

Your employer applies for a Single Permit. This is a permit that entitles the foreign national to stay and work in the Netherlands. The Single Permit combines the residence permit and the TWV. You only have to apply for one permit, to one authority: the IND. The IND asks advice from the Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency (UWV) about the labour market aspect. UWV assesses the request for advice based on the criteria according the Directive. The IND takes a decision on the basis of the advice of UWV. If the decision is positive and the Single Permit is issued, the IND will inform you accordingly.

Your employer can choose to become a recognised sponsor. This is not obligatory. Recognition as sponsor has a number of advantages.

Other conditions
apply to persons with the nationality of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and their family members.


There are certain conditions that apply to everyone. In addition, you and your employer have to meet the following conditions:

  • You are not a national of an EU/EEA or Switzerland.
  • At the moment of submitting your application, your main residence is outside the EU.
  • You will be working in management or as a specialist (so-called key personnel) or as a trainee.
  • You will be transferred from a company outside the EU to a branch in the Netherlands.
  • Prior to being transferred you were employed with the company outside the EU for at least 3 months.
  • You have a valid employment contract with a company established outside the EU or an assignment letter from your employer, containing the following details:
    • details about the duration of your transfer and the location of the branch in the Netherlands;

    • details showing that you will have a position in management, as a specialist or as a trainee-employee;

    • your salary and the other terms of employment during the transfer;

    • details showing that after the transfer you can be transferred to a branch that is part of the same company and which is located in a different country.

  • You have the qualifications and experience needed of a manager or specialist in the branch to which you are being transferred. If you are a trainee-employee, you must have a master's diploma. If you are in a regulated profession, you must have proof of recognition of your professional qualifications. 
  • The terms of employment, employment relationships or employment conditions are similar to those that are statutorily required and common in this sector. In other words, the salary must be in keeping with market rates. This is the salary criterion for working as a highly skilled migrant.
  • The branch in the Netherlands was not established to simplify the admission of transferred employees.
  • The Netherlands is the member state in which you will reside most of the time during the transfer.
  • Economic activity must exist between the employer and the branch in the Netherlands.
  • You may not have been resident in the Netherlands for a prior transfer within the company immediately before the application (waiting time numerous transfers).
  • The employer or branch in the Netherlands must not have been fined, during the 5 years immediately before the application, in connection with a violation of article 2 of the Aliens Employment Act or due to non-payment or insufficient payment of wage tax, premiums for employee insurance schemes or national insurance premiums.
  • If you are a trainee-employee, you will follow a trainee programme and will not be deployed as a normal employee.

Please visit www.werk.nl/werkvergunning for more information on the conditions based on the Foreign Nationals Employment Act (Wav).

Other conditions may apply for Turkish nationals and their family members.

Online application

Your employer can also submit this application online. He can do this in the Business Portal.

Online application


This application costs € 290. 

Checklist documents

The application form lists the documents that you have to enclose with the application.

You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German.

After the application

Collect your residence permit

The IND aims to have the Single Permit ready for you within 2 weeks following your arrival in the Netherlands. You receive a letter when you can collect the Single Permit. For this, you have to make an appointment online at the IND desk stated in the letter. Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice. Therefore, please schedule an appointment in time.  

Check to see if the information on the Single Permit is correct while you are still at the IND desk. If something is incorrect, inform the IND staff member at once.

Registration with the municipality

Upon arrival in the Netherlands, you must register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP)  in the municipality you are going to live.

To register with the municipality you need a legalised and translated  birth certificate. Take this therefore with you when you travel to the Netherlands.

Please contact your municipality in advance to check which (legalised and translated) documents/ certificates you need to take with you.

TB test

You have indicated your intent to undergo a tuberculosis test (TB test) when you applied. You have to make an appointment for this with the Area Health Authority (GGD). You do this within 3 months after having received your residence permit. Please take the 'TB test referral form' with you to the appointment.

In some cases you are exempt from taking a TB test.

Take out health insurance

Anyone living in the Netherlands must take out health insurance. You do this within 4 months following your arrival in the Netherlands.

Validity residence permit

​The maximum validity of a Single Permit is 3 years for managers and specialists.
The maximum validity of a Single Permit is 1 year for trainee-employees.

The maximum validity includes the transfers between EU member states.

Right to work

The permit states ‘arbeid wegens overplaatsing binnen een onderneming en arbeid als zelfstandige toegestaan, andere arbeid toegestaan met TWV’ (work as Intra Corporate Transferee and work as a self-employed permitted, other work permitted with TWV).

This means that you can work at a branch of the company in the Netherlands. If you want to do other work in the Netherlands, your employer must first obtain a work permit (TWV).​ And you may work as a self-employed as long as you still meet the conditions for the Intra Corporate Transferee permit.

Are you already in possession of a Single Permit for 'transfer within a company' (Directive on Intra Corporate Transferees 2014/66/EU) but does your document have a different employment status? You do not have to exchange your document. The above employment status also applies to you.

Legal obligations

There are a number of legal obligations that apply to you and your employer.

The IND monitors your compliance with these legal obligations. Failure to meet these legal obligations may have consequences.

Intra EU mobility

​With this residence permit you may apply for intra EU mobility. This allows you to be transferred to a branch of the international concern located in another participating EU member state. This is possible for short term and long term.

Short term mobility

Short term mobility is possible for a stay of a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days. For short term mobility in the Netherlands the employer will have to notify UWV of the short stay. After the notification at UWV you may directly start work.

Long term mobility

Long term mobility is possible for a stay of more than 90 days within a period of 180 days. You will need to have a residence permit for the Netherlands. You do not need to apply for an mvv. After submitting the application you may directly start work. A few conditions will not be checked again:

  • required duration of the employment (at least 3 months);
  • required qualifications and experience;
  • requirement of a trainee agreement (if you are a trainee-employee).

Further applications (extend or change) / return visa

Replace residence permit

Is your residence permit damaged, lost or stolen? In that case, have the residence permit replaced.

Extend residence permit

Is your residence permit due to expire soon? Apply for an extension.

Change residence permit

Has something changed in your situation that influences your residence permit? Please report this immediately to the IND. It may mean that the residence permit has to be changed sooner.

Return visa

If you are awaiting a procedure, you do not have a valid residence document at present and you wish to travel outside the Netherlands, you may need a return visa to re-enter the Netherlands. This could be the case if your current residence permit is no longer valid or your current residence permit will expire during your stay outside of the Netherlands. To apply for a return visa you must meet certain conditions. ​​


​A TWV is a work permit. The employer applies for a TWV with UWV (Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency). UWV examines among other things if there is no employee with the Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss nationality that is qualified for the job.

Management position

A person holding a senior position, who primarily directs the management of the host entity, receiving general supervision or guidance principally from the board of directors or shareholders of the business or equivalent; that position shall include: directing the host entity or a department or subdivision of the host entity; supervising and controlling work of the other supervisory, professional or managerial employees; having the authority to recommend hiring, dismissing or other personnel action;


​A person working within the group of undertakings possessing specialised knowledge essential to the host entity's areas of activity, techniques or management. In assessing such knowledge, account shall be taken not only of knowledge specific to the host entity, but also of whether the person has a high level of qualification including adequate professional experience referring to a type of work or activity requiring specific technical knowledge, including possible membership of an accredited profession.


​A person with a university degree who is transferred to a host entity for career development purposes or in order to obtain training in business techniques or methods, and is paid during the transfer.

Provisional residence permit (mvv)

​The provisional residence permit (mvv) is a visa you need if you wish to stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days. For more information, check Regular provisional residence permit (mvv).

Dutch representation

​This is the Dutch embassy or consulate.

formal decision

​A formal letter with the decision on your application.