Cross border service provider

You wish to work in the Netherlands as a cross-border service provider. You need a residence permit to live and work in the Netherlands. What are the conditions for this residence permit? And how does the application procedure work?

Other conditions apply to persons with the nationality of an EU/EEA country  or Switzerland and their family members.


There are certain conditions that apply to everyone. In addition, the following conditions apply:

  • The service provider has a residence permit and a work permit that shows that he has the right of residence in the country of his employer and that he may carry out work there as an employee of his employer.
  • The service provider has an employment contract with the employer.
  • The service provider must have sufficient income.
  • The income has to be available during the stay.
  • The employer is established outside the Netherlands in another EU/EEA Member State or Switzerland.
  • The employer has the duty to notify the service provider online at

Criteria Foreign Nationals Employment Act

  • It is cross-border service provision (therefore not contracting for work).
  • The employer is outside the Netherlands, but is established in the EU, EEA or Switzerland.
  • The service provider is employed by the employer.
  • The service provider is allowed to live and work in the country of the employer.
  • The wage is at least the minimum wage and, in case of generally binding collective agreements, the Collective Labour Agreement wage.

  • The duration is no more than 2 years.

Other conditions may apply for Turkish nationals and their family members.


This application costs € 290. 

Checklist documents 

Use the checklist to gather the supporting documents for your application.

You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German.


After the application

Collect your residence permit

The IND aims to have your residence permit ready within 2 weeks following your arrival in the Netherlands. The IND will send you a letter indicating when you can collect your residence permit. For this, you have to make an appointment online at the IND desk stated in the letter. Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice. Therefore, please schedule an appointment in time.

Check to see if the information on your residence permit is correct while you are still at the IND desk. If something is incorrect, please inform the IND staff member at once.

Registration with the municipality

Upon arrival in the Netherlands, you must register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP)  in the municipality you are going to live.

To register with the municipality you need a legalised and translated  birth certificate. Take this therefore with you when you travel to the Netherlands.

Please contact your municipality in advance to check which (legalised and translated) documents/ certificates you need to take with you.

TB test

You have indicated your intent to undergo a tuberculosis test (TB test) when you applied. You have to make an appointment for this with the Area Health Authority (GGD). You do this within 3 months after having received your residence permit. Please take the 'TB test referral form' with you to the appointment.

In some cases you are exempt from taking a TB test.

Take out health insurance

Anyone living in the Netherlands must take out health insurance. You do this within 4 months following your arrival in the Netherlands.

Validity residence permit

The period of validity of the residence permit is up to 2 years. It is not possible to extend the residence permit after these 2 years.

Right to work

The back of your residence permit shows if you are allowed to work. The residence permit for stay as a cross-border service provider states 'TWV niet vereist voor specifieke arbeid, andere arbeid niet toegestaan', meaning work permit not required for specific work, other work not permitted. This means that this residence permit only allows you to work in the Netherlands as a cross-border service provider.

Legal obligations

There are a number of legal obligations that apply to you and your employer.

The IND monitors your compliance with these legal obligations. Failure to meet these legal obligations may have consequences.

Further applications (extend or change) / return visa

Replace residence permit

Is your residence permit damaged, lost or stolen? In that case, have the residence permit replaced.

Extend residence permit

Is your residence permit due to expire soon? Apply for an extension.

Change residence permit

Has something changed in your situation that influences your residence permit? Please report this immediately to the IND. It may mean that the residence permit has to be changed sooner.

Return visa

If you are awaiting a procedure, you do not have a valid residence document at present and you wish to travel outside the Netherlands, you may need a return visa to re-enter the Netherlands. This could be the case if your current residence permit is no longer valid or your current residence permit will expire during your stay outside of the Netherlands. To apply for a return visa you must meet certain conditions. ​​

Provisional residence permit (mvv)

​The provisional residence permit (mvv) is a visa you need if you wish to stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days. For more information, check Regular provisional residence permit (mvv).

Dutch representation

​This is the Dutch embassy or consulate.

Country of continuous residence

​A country of continuous residence is a country (other than the country of origin) where you may lawfully live for more than 3 months. This means you have a valid residence permit for that country. Or that you are waiting for your application for a residence permit to be approved.

Are you in a country in your free term? Or with a visa for short stay (maximum of 3 months)? This is not continuous residence.


​A TWV is a work permit. The employer applies for a TWV with UWV (Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency). UWV examines among other things if there is no employee with the Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss nationality that is qualified for the job.