Apply for a residence permit intra-corporate transferees (Directive 2014/66/EU)

Last update: 12 September 2022

An intra-corporate transferee (ICT) residence permit enables an employee to be transferred within a company. This residence permit is for managers, specialists and trainees who come to work for a Dutch branch of the company. On this page you can read about the conditions for this and how to apply for a residence permit.

Who can apply for an intra-corporate transferee residence permit?

A residence permit for intra-corporate transferees is a combined work and residence permit. It applies to managers, specialists and trainees enrolled in a training programme. Here they are referred to as employees. The employee is transferred by a company from outside the EU to a branch in the Netherlands. It is only for workers who are nationals of a country outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland. Find out which countries are in the EU and EEA.

The information on this page applies to one of the following situations:

  • Employees who work for a company outside the EU and are transferred to a branch of that company in the Netherlands.
  • Employees who work at a company within the EU on the basis of an intra-corporate transferee residence permit and are transferred to a branch in the Netherlands for a period longer than 90 days. In such cases, the employee makes use of a long-term mobile ICT.
  • The Dutch branch of the company (employer) is the branch that hosts the transferred employee.

If the employee is being transferred to branches in different EU countries, apply for the residence permit in the country where the employee will be working for the longest period of time.

Short-term mobility of intra-corporate transferees (Mobile ICT)

An employee who is coming to work in the Netherlands for short-term mobility does not need a residence permit. In this situation, short-tem mobility applies:

  1. the employee has an intra-corporate transferee residence permit from another EU Member State; and
  2. the employee will be working in the Netherlands for a period of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. 

Notify short-tem mobility at UWV

The Dutch employer must notify the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen (Employee Insurance Agency – UWV) that the foreign employee is coming to work in the Netherlands on a temporary basis. Use the notification form of UWV (Dutch only).

Employer in the Netherlands: sponsor or recognised sponsor

If you are hiring a foreign worker, then you are the sponsor of that worker. As an employer, you can become a recognised sponsor. Recognised sponsors can easily and quickly apply for residence permits for employees and their family members. Employers do not have to become a recognised sponsor to hire an intra-corporate transferee: becoming a recognised sponsor is completely voluntary. Find out more about applying to the IND to become a recognised sponsor.

Provisional residence permit (mvv)

To travel to the Netherlands, your worker needs a visa. This visa is called a provisional residence permit, or mvv (machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf). In some situations, an mvv is not required. Find out more about the mvv and when you do not need one.

General requirements for a residence permit

Requirements for intra-corporate transferee (ICT)

The following requirements also apply for the residence permit for intra-corporate transferees:

  • The employee resides in a country outside the European Union (EU) at the time of application or resides in an EU Member State on the basis of an intra-corporate transferee residence permit (mobile ICT).
  • The employee will work in the Netherlands as a manager, specialist or trainee.
  • The employee is transferred within the same company to an establishment in the Netherlands.
  • The employee has been working for the company outside the EU for at least 3 months.
  • The employee has a valid work contract with the company outside the EU or has an assignment letter from the employer. The work contract or the assignment letter contains the following information:
    • The duration of the transfer and the location of the establishment in the Netherlands.
    • Evidence that the employee will be working as a manager, specialist or trainee.
    • The salary and terms and conditions of employment during the transfer.
    • Evidence that the employee will be able to work in an establishment outside the EU at the end of the transfer.
  • The employee has the right qualifications and experience for the job. Trainees require a master's degree from a university or university of applied sciences, or a foreign master's degree equivalent to a master's degree from a university.
  • If the employee practises a regulated profession, such as doctor or architect, the employee must prove that they are entitled to practise that profession in the Netherlands.
  • The employee who is going to work as an individual healthcare professional must be listed in the register of individual healthcare professionals (in Dutch: BIG-register).

  • The terms and conditions of employment, employment relationships or working conditions comply with the law and are at least in line with the level that is usual in the industry.
  • The employee's salary is in line with the market. This is the case if it meets the salary criterion for highly skilled migrants
  • The establishment in the Netherlands was not created for the sole purpose of making it easier to bring transferred employees to the EU. The establishment in the Netherlands carries out economic activities.
  • The employee has not been previously transferred to the Netherlands in the 6 months preceding the application.
  • The employer must not have recevied a fine in the 5 years prior to the application. Specifically, it must not have received a fine for infringing Section 2 of the Foreign Nationals Employment Act (Wav) or for not paying – or not paying to a sufficient extent – wage tax or contributions for employee insurance or national insurance schemes.

Turkish nationals and their family members

Find out which other conditions may apply to Turkish citizens and their family members.

Documents you need

You must submit documents to show that you meet the requirements for the residence permit. To apply for a residence permit for intra-corporate transferee, you need the following documents:

  • Copy of the page containing the personal details and period of validity of the passport. You must also send a copy of the pages with travel stamps.
  • The employee's curriculum vitae (CV). The CV must show what education the employee has completed and what their work experience is.
  • In the case of a regulated profession, proof of recognition of professional qualifications.
  • If the employee is a trainee, a copy of the master's degree obtained, and the training agreement. This contains a description of the training programme. The description shows:
    • that during the stay in the Netherlands the trainee is to be trained for career development purposes or obtain training in business techniques or methods.
    • the term of the agreement.
    • the conditions under which the trainee employee is to be supervised.
  • These appendices from the application form:
    • The appendix 'Assignment Letter', completed by the employer.
    • The appendix 'Declaration of intent to take a TB test', completed by the employee.
    • The appendix 'Antecedents Certificate', completed by the employee.

Are you a non-recognised sponsor? You should also send these documents with the application:

  • Proof of registration with the Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel).
  • Proof of own address where the economic activities are done. For example, lease contract or purchase deed. A P.O. Box is not proof of own address.
  • Declaration of payment activity as described in article 1 or the Leidraad Invordering 2008. This declaration is no older than 3 months on the date of application.
  • A payroll summary showing that at least 1 employee is already employed full-time by the company before the intra corporate transferee comes to the Netherlands. The payroll summary has been anonymised. This means that the personal details and identity of employees have been made illegible.

Legalisation and translation of official foreign documents

Official foreign documents must be legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French, or German. Find out more about legalising and translating foreign documents.

Combined residence and employment permit or single permit (GVVA)

To work in the Netherlands, an intra-corporate transferee needs a residence permit and a work permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV). The residence permit and work permit are applied for together as a single permit (gecombineerde vergunning voor verblijf en arbeid or GVVA). The IND will assess the application. For the work permit, the IND will request advice from the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV).

Application forms

The employer applies for the mvv and GVVA (single permit) at the same time. There are several application forms.

Application forms for recognised sponsors

The recognised sponsor can apply online or in writing.

Online application form for recognised sponsors

If you have been recognised as a sponsor by the IND, you can submit the 'Intra-corporate transfer' application online on our Business Portal. Read more about the Business Portal and log in.

Written application forms for recognised sponsors

If you prefer to submit your application in writing, there are two forms for recognised sponsors. Make sure that you choose the right form.

Written application forms for sponsors (not recognised)

There are two forms for sponsors (not recognised). Make sure that you choose the right form.

How to submit your written application

  1. Download and print the form.
  2. Complete the form. Also complete the appendix or appendices that apply to your situation.
  3. Put the application form, appendices and supporting documents in one envelope. Never send original documents to the IND. Make clear copies that are easy to read.
  4. Send your application to the IND. The address is on the application form.

Cost application

The employer pays for the application. If the employer is a recognised sponsor, they can pay by direct debit. Otherwise, the IND will send a request to pay the application costs (fees) by letter.

The application for an intra-corporate transferee residence permit costs € 350,00.

Decision on your application

The IND has 90 days to decide on your application for asingle permit (GVVA). This period is called the decision period. It is specified by law. The employer will receive a letter stating the date by which the IND will decide on the application.

For recognised sponsors: decision within 2 weeks

The IND tries to process an application from a recognised sponsor within 2 weeks. However, the application must be complete.

Track your application online

Apply for review of the decision

Employers can apply for review of the decision within 4 weeks. The decision letter explains how to do this. Find out more about applying for review or appealing a decision from the IND.

If the IND decides late

Has the decision period passed and you have still not received a decision on your application or review? Then the IND is late in deciding. Find out what you can do when the IND is late with its decision.

Validity of the residence permit for intra-corporate transferee

For managers and specialists, a GVVA is valid for a maximum of 3 years. For trainees, a GVVA is valid for a maximum of 1 year. The maximum period of validity includes transfers between EU Member States.

Working in the Netherlands as an intra-corporate transferee

This residence permit allows the employee to work at the company's establishment in the Netherlands. The back of the residence permit states: 'Arbeid wegens overplaatsing binnen een onderneming en arbeid als zelfstandige toegestaan, andere arbeid toegestaan met TWV' (Work based on intra-corporate transfer and self-employment permitted, other work permitted with TWV).

Working for a second employer

If you want to be employed by another company, the employer concerned must have a TWV for you. 

Self-employed work

You can also work as a self-employed person. However, you must continue to meet the conditions for the intra-corporate transferee residence permit. 

Transfer to another EU Member State (intra-EU mobility)

If the Netherlands is the first country in which you have a residence permit as an intra-corporate transferee, you can be transferred to an establishment in another EU Member State on a temporary basis. This is known as intra-EU mobility. There are two forms of intra-EU mobility:

  1. Short-term mobility for transfers for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period.
  2. Long-term mobility for transfers for more than 90 days in any 180-day period. For this form of mobility, your employer must apply for a separate residence permit in the other country.

For more information, contact the immigration authorities in the country to which the employee is to be transferred.

Denmark and Ireland are not taking part in the scheme. Therefore you cannot be transferred to one of those two countries in accordance with the rules of Directive 2014/66/EU.

Your Europe