Apply for a residence permit cross-border service provider

Last update: 12 September 2022

A cross-border service provider residence permit allows an employee of a European company to work and live in the Netherlands temporarily. On this page, you can find out about the conditions and how to apply for the residence permit.

Who can apply for a residence permit cross-border service provider?

The cross-border service provider residence permit is for employees who are nationals of a country outside the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. Find out which countries are in the EU and EEA. The information on this page applies in the following cases:

  1. You work for a company in the EU, EEA or Switzerland. You will be working temporarily for this company in the Netherlands.
  2. You are a business owner in the Netherlands. You would like an employee of a company in the EU, EEA or Switzerland to work for you in the Netherlands temporarily.

Provisional residence permit (mvv)

To travel to the Netherlands, your worker needs a visa. This visa is called a provisional residence permit, or mvv (machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf). In some situations, an mvv is not required. Find out more about the mvv.

General requirements for a residence permit

Requirements for cross-border service provider

The following requirements also apply to the cross-border service provider residence permit:

  • The employee has an employer based outside the Netherlands in another EU or EEA country or in Switzerland.
  • The employee is going to work temporarily for a business owner in the Netherlands. This is not an appointment as a member of staff. The employee may work in the Netherlands as a cross-border service provider for up to 2 years.
  • The employee remains in the employ of his or her employer abroad.
  • The employee has a residence permit and a work permit from the EU country where the employer is based. This shows that the employee has a right of residence in that other EU country and is allowed to work for that employer.
  • The employee has an employment contract with the employer in the other country.
  • The employer abroad should register the employee at the digital reporting desk on the website

Turkish nationals and their family members

Find out which other conditions may apply to Turkish citizens and their family members.

Documents you need

You must have documentation showing that you meet the requirements. The following documents are needed for the cross-border service provider application:

  • A copy of the page in the employee's passport that contains the personal data and the period of validity.
  • The appendix 'Sponsor declaration (employment)' filled in and signed. This is attached to the application form. The employer must fill in this appendix.
  • The appendix 'Antecedents Certificate'. This appendix is attached to the application form. The researcher should fill in all sections of the Antecedents Certificate and sign it.
  • A copy of the valid residence permit and work permit that the employee has in the other country.
  • A copy of the employment contract with the business owner for whom the employee will be working temporarily in the Netherlands.

Legalisation and translation of official foreign documents

Official foreign documents must be legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French, or German. Find out more about legalising and translating foreign documents.

Written application forms

The employer (sponsor) or worker (foreign national) applies for the provisional residence permit (mvv) and the work permit at the same time. This can only be done in writing. There are different application forms.

Written application form for sponsor

Written application form for foreign national

If you need an mvv and you wish to apply for the mvv yourself? Please contact the Dutch representation in your country of residence. If you do not need an mvv, please use the following form:

How to submit your written application

If you or your sponsor apply for a residence permit at the IND in the Netherlands, please follow these steps:

  1. Download and print the form.
  2. Complete the form. Also complete the appendix or appendices that apply to your situation.
  3. Put the application form, appendices and supporting documents in one envelope. Never send original documents to the IND. Make clear copies that are easy to read.
  4. Send your application to the IND. The address is on the application form.

Cost of application

The IND will send a request by post to the emplyer to pay the application costs (fees). Was the application submitted by the employee? Then the employee will receive a letter from the Dutch embassy or consulate.

The cross-border service provider application costs € 350,00.

Decision on your application

The IND has 90 days to decide on the application for a residence permit cross-border service provider. This period is called the decision period. It is specified by law. The employer will receive a letter stating the date by which the IND will decide on the application.

Volg uw aanvraag online

Apply for review of the decision

You can apply for review of the decision within 4 weeks. The decision letter explains how to do this. Find out more about applying for review or appealing a decision from the IND.

If the IND decides late

Has the decision period passed and you have still not received a decision on your application or review? Then the IND is late in deciding. Find out what you can do if the IND is late with its decision.

Validity of a cross-border service provider residence permit

This residence permit is valid for the contract period in the Netherlands. But the permit is valid for a maximum of 2 years. At the end of the 2 years, you can no longer extend the residence permit.

Working in the Netherlands as a cross-border service provider

This residence permit allows the employee only to work for the client in the Netherlands. The employee is not permitted to do any other work in the Netherlands. The back of the residence permit states: 'TWV niet vereist voor specifieke arbeid, andere arbeid niet toegestaan' (TWV not required for the specified employment; other employment not permitted).

Your Europe