• Home
  • Study progress monitoring

Study progress monitoring

Every year, your educational institution monitors whether you make sufficient progress in your studies. This is called study progress monitoring.

You will get a residence permit that is valid for the duration of your education. You keep this residence permit if you obtain at least 50% of the required credits for each academic year. Is your study progress not sufficient? Your educational institution must then report this to the IND. You may lose your residence permit.

To whom does the study progress monitoring apply?

To all students who have a residence permit for 'study'. Do you need a preparatory period? You must then complete this programme within 12 months. The study progress monitoring does not apply to:

  • Students who have already been deregistered during the course of the academic year.
  • Exchange students. 

Is the educational institution required to inform you about the study progress monitoring?

Yes. Your educational institution will let you know whether you have enough credits to keep your residence permit.

The educational institution already knows during the academic year that the student is not going to meet the required credits. Is the educational institution allowed to deregister the student?

Yes. The educational institution may deregister you at any given moment in the event of insufficient student's progress. You may lose your residence permit.

What must the educational institution do?

It must be established by the end of November whether you have obtained at least 50% of the required credits in the past academic year. Have you not obtained sufficient credits? Your educational institution then has to determine if there is valid reason for this. This is called an excusable reason. Do you not have an excusable reason and insufficient credits? Your educational institution must then deregister you at the IND.

What happens after your educational institution has deregistered you?

The IND will inform you about the deregistration. Your residence permit may be withdrawn. You will receive a letter about this to which you can respond. If your residence permit will be withdrawn and you wish to remain in the Netherlands, you will have to apply for another residence permit.

Does the educational institution receive a list of students they have to monitor?


What student's progress applies to a preparatory year?

Students are entitled to one single preparatory period of a maximum of 12 months. You must complete the entire preparatory programme within this period. A student's progress of 50% is not sufficient. Have you not completed the preparatory year successfully after 12 months? Your educational institution must then deregister you.

A student starts his studies in February. How many credits must he obtain?

When a student enrols later in the academic year, he has to obtain 50% of the credits proportionally. For example: 30 credits can be obtained from February till September. The student must then obtain at least 15 credits.

What is a valid reason?

A valid reason means an excusable reason. These are listed in the Higher Education and Research Act. These are:

  • illness
  • physical or sensory impairment or other functional disorder
  • pregnancy
  • exceptional family circumstances
  • board duties
  • the inability to study

How often can a student have the same valid reason?

You may only use the same excusable reason once with your educational institution.

A student has obtained insufficient credits. The student has a valid reason for this. What does the educational institution report to the IND?

Nothing has to be reported to the IND. The educational institution will include in its records that you have a valid reason. The actual reason does not have to be included in records that are publicly accessible.

A student has made an insufficient progress with his studies. What documents does the educational institution have to keep in case of valid reasons?

This depends on the situation. It may be that these documents are not even available with the International Office, however that the factual information is held by a student counsellor instead. The records must at least show that the student's progress has been assessed and that the underlying documents are stored in another place.

A student has obtained insufficient credits and has no valid reason for this. May the student appeal against the decision?

It is up to the educational institution to decide upon this.

A student is doing an internship during this academic year. The credits for the internship will not be assessed until the following academic year. How does this affect the study progress monitoring?

The study progress monitoring relates to the past academic year. The student must have obtained sufficient credits during that academic year.

What is meant by 'nominal study load'?

The nominal study load as is set out in the registration in the CROHO. The CROHO takes precedence.

A student is attending an arts education. The educational institution does not work with ECTS. Does the study progress monitoring still apply to this student?

Yes, the student must in any event make sufficient progress with his studies. Article 5.5 of the Code of Conduct also applies to these students.

A student follows part of the educational programme in the Netherlands and part of it abroad. Do the credits obtained abroad count towards the study progress monitoring?

Yes, these credits count as well. The credits do have to relate to the educational programme for which the student was granted the residence permit. It does not matter whether the student first follows subjects in the Netherlands or first follows these abroad.

 A student follows a joint degree programme at different educational institutions. Which educational institution is responsible for the study progress monitoring?

All educational institutions involved monitor the student's progress with respect to their own part of the programme. It is up to the educational institutions to decide who is to be the contact person for the study progress monitoring. However, the educational institution that is also recognised sponsor is the most obvious contact person.

A student obtains 50% of the credits in the first academic year. Does he have the obtain the rest of the credits in the next year? So: 30 + 60 of 30 + 30?

A student who obtains 50% of the credits in the first year must also obtain at least 50% of the credits in the second year. Which credits these relate to (from which year) is not relevant for the IND. It could however be relevant to the question whether the student can continue to study at the educational institution.

A student is following two study programmes. Can the credits from both programmes be added together?

Yes, that is allowed. It is generally the case that all credits that contribute to a degree are counted.

Do credits obtained through exemptions count?

Yes. ‚Äč