Permanent residence permit for Union citizens and their family

Last update: 26 September 2023

You or your family member want to apply for permanent residency for Union citizens. Find out what the requirements are and how you can apply for the residence document.


These requirements apply to the residence permit for Union citizens.

  • You have the nationality of a country of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. Or you have another nationality, but are a family member of a Union citizen. Or you are the family member of a Dutch national who comes under EU law. These family members come under EU law.
    • Married, unmarried or registered partner.
    • Parent or parent-in-law, grandparent, child, grandchild, or great-grandchild.
    • Another family member, for example an uncle, aunt or cousin. In this case, one of these situations must apply to this family member.
      • The family member depends on you financially. Without money from you, your family member cannot pay for their basic needs. Basic needs are, for example, rent, food and drink. The family member is receiving money from you regularly, for example every month.
      • The family member needs care from you for serious health issues.
      • The family member depends on you and was already living with you in the country of origin.
  • You have a valid passport or other travel document.
  • You are registered in the Personal Records Database (in Dutch: Basisregistratie Personen or BRP) of the town hall in the area where you live.
  • You have been living legally in the Netherlands continuously for 5 or more years at the time of application. As a family member, you have met the requirements for residency  Union citizens for 5 years.

Who cannot submit this application?

You cannot apply for permanent residency if you have a residence permit for residency with a minor Dutch Child (Chavez).

Are you a United Kingdom (UK) citizen? Or are you the family member of a UK national and you do not have EU, EEA or Swiss nationality? Then visit our web page Permanent residency Brexit.

Applying for permanent residency after less than 5 years of residency

Sometimes you can apply for permanent residency if you have been living in the Netherlands for less than 5 years. This is the case in these situations.

Show details Hide details

Process and costs

These are the steps in the application process for the permanent residence document.

Show details Hide details

Application forms

You can submit this application online. You need DigiD with SMS verification and internet banking (iDEAL).

Online application form permanent residence EU (duurzaam verblijf)

Written application forms

Download the form, print and complete it in writing if you prefer, and then send it to us by post.

The residence document

Find out what else you need to know about the residence document.

Working with the residence document

You are free to work in the Netherlands with a permanent residence document. Your employer does not need a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV). The back of the residence document says in Dutch ‘Arbeid vrij toegestaan, TWV niet vereist’. (Free to work. Work permit not required.) 

Legal obligations

You have an obligation to provide information. This means you must inform the IND of any changes in your situation. Find out more about your obligation to provide information on the web page Obligations foreign national and sponsor of family member.

The IND checks whether you meet your obligations. If you do not, you may get an administrative fine.

Validity of residence document

Your residence document is valid for 10 years and you can renew it every 10 years. Are you under 18 years old? Then, your residence document is valid for 5 years and you can renew it every 5 years.

Other applications

Replacement of the residence document

Has the your residence document been damaged, lost or stolen? Then have your residence document replaced. Visit the web page Residence permit damaged or change details or Residence permit lost or stolen.

Extension of residence document 

Will your residence document expire soon? Then you can extend your residence document.

Your Europe