Au pair

You want to live as an au pair with a host family in the Netherlands. You need a residence permit in order to live in the Netherlands as an au pair. What are the conditions for this residence permit? And how does the application procedure work?

Other conditions may apply to persons with the nationality of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland.


There are certain conditions that apply to everyone. In addition to these conditions, you and your host family have to meet the following conditions:

  • You are going to live in the Netherlands temporarily under an exchange programme as an au pair via a recognised au pair agency.
  • You are 18 years of age or older, but younger than 31 years of age.
  • You did not sign a contract with a host family, Dutch or foreign intermediary agency or au pair agency under which you are obliged to pay money or a fine if you fail to perform all or parts of the contract.
  • You did not pay a sum of money as deposit to a Dutch or foreign intermediary agency or au pair agency.
  • You will not be carrying out work for people who are in need of more specialised care. More specialised care means care duties that require specific skills.
  • You and the host family are not family members in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree.
  • You did not pay more than €34 in costs for the preparations for your stay in the Netherlands.
  • You have not had a residence permit for exchange purposes in the Netherlands before.
  • You are going to live with the host family. You register with the municipality as living at the address of the host family.
  • Your host family is registered in the Netherlands in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) of the municipality where they live.
  • Your host family is composed of 2 or more persons. These persons have Dutch nationality or a valid residence permit for the Netherlands.
  • You have not worked for the host family in the Netherlands or abroad before.
  • You work as an au pair for a maximum of 8 hours per day and a maximum of 30 hours per week. You have at least 2 days off per week.
  • You only perform light domestic work for the host family.
  • You and the host family draw up a daily work routine for all 7 days of the week. You and the family sign this daily work routine. The daily work routine must contain at least the following:
    • how many hours the au pair will do light domestic work;
    • which 2 days in the week the au pair is off;
    • who performs light domestic work in addition to the au pair. Another person must be stated.
  • Your host family must have an independent sufficient and sustainable income

Other conditions may apply for Turkish nationals and their family members.

Online application

Your au pair agency can submit this application online. Please use the Business Portal.

Online application


This application costs € 290.

Checklist for documents

The au pair agency has a list of documents that you need.

You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German.


After the application

Collect your residence permit

The IND aims to have your residence permit ready within 2 weeks following your arrival in the Netherlands. The IND will send your au pair agency a letter to inform you when you can collect the residence permit. For this, you have to make an appointment online at the IND desk stated in the letter. Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice. Therefore, please schedule an appointment in time.

Check to see if the information on the residence permit is correct while you are still at the IND desk. If something is incorrect, inform the IND staff member at once.

The residence permit for a stay as an au pair is valid for 1 year.

Registration with the municipality

Upon arrival in the Netherlands, you must register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP)  in the municipality you are going to live.

To register with the municipality you need a legalised and translated  birth certificate. Take this therefore with you when you travel to the Netherlands.

Please contact your municipality in advance to check which (legalised and translated) documents/ certificates you need to take with you.

TB test

You have indicated your intent to undergo a tuberculosis test (TB test) when you applied. You have to make an appointment for this with the Area Health Authority (GGD). You do this within 3 months after having received your residence permit. Please take the 'TB test referral form' with you to the appointment.

In some cases you are exempt from taking a TB test.

Take out health insurance

Anyone living in the Netherlands must take out health insurance. You do this within 4 months following your arrival in the Netherlands.

Validity residence permit

The residence permit for a stay as an au pair is valid for 1 year. 

Right to work

The back of your residence permit shows if you are allowed to work. With the au pair residence permit, you are only allowed to work as an au pair in the host family and at the address of the host family. You are not allowed to work for a second host family or an employer. Your residence permit states 'TWV niet vereist voor specifieke arbeid, andere arbeid niet toegestaan'.

Legal obligations / complaints

There are a number of legal obligations that apply to you, your host family and your au pair agency. 

The IND monitors your compliance with these legal obligations. Failure to meet these legal obligations may have consequences.

Do you have a complaint about your host family? For example, do you not hold your own passport? Or do you have to perform (light domestic) work other than agreed upon or for more hours than agreed upon? Try to solve the problems in consultation with your host family first. If this is unsuccessful, contact your au pair agency. If the au pair agency is unable or unwilling to help you, you should call the au pair information line. The telephone number is +31(0)6-10 82 35 94.

In serious cases, e.g. in case of abuse or exploitation, you can also call the information line directly. Or you go to the police.

Further applications (extend or change) / return visa

Replacement of residence permit

Is your residence permit damaged, lost or stolen? In that case, have the residence permit replaced.

Extend residence permit

You cannot extend your au pair residence permit.

Change residence permit

Has something changed in your situation that influences your residence permit? Please report this immediately to the IND. It may mean that, due to the changes in your situation, the residence permit has to be changed.

Return visa

If you are awaiting a procedure, you do not have a valid residence document at present and you wish to travel outside the Netherlands, you may need a return visa to re-enter the Netherlands. This could be the case if your current residence permit is no longer valid or your current residence permit will expire during your stay outside of the Netherlands. To apply for a return visa you must meet certain conditions. ​

Family members in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree

​Family members up to and including the 3rd degree are parents, children, brothers and sisters, grandparents, grandchildren, uncles and aunts, nephews and nieces, cousins, great-grandparents and great-grandchildren.

Provisional residence permit (mvv)

​The provisional residence permit (mvv) is a visa you need if you wish to stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days. For more information, check Regular provisional residence permit (mvv).

Dutch representation

​This is the Dutch embassy or consulate.

formal decision

​A formal letter with the decision on your application.


​A TWV is a work permit. The employer applies for a TWV with UWV (Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency). UWV examines among other things if there is no employee with the Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss nationality that is qualified for the job.