• Home
  • Permit extension

Permit extension

Your residence permit expires. You wish to extend your residence permit. What are the conditions? And how does the application procedure work?

Do you have an asylum permit? Go to the page extension temporary asylum permit.

Can I extend my residence permit?

The front of your residence permit shows the purpose of stay of your residence permit. Do you have one of the following residence permits? Then an extension is only possible if you have had the permit  for less than 1 year. The permit will then be extended to a maximum of 1 year total stay in the Netherlands. Was your residence permit valid for 1 year? Then you cannot extend it anymore.

        • Working Holiday Program/ Working Holiday Scheme

        • Exchange private organisation

        • Au pair

        • Stay as a trainee or apprentice

        • Orientation year for graduates and highly educated persons

A residence permit with the purpose of stay 'seasonal work' has a maximum duration of stay of 24 weeks. An extension is only possible if you have had the permit for less than 24 weeks.

Are you already 5 years in the Netherlands? And do you want to apply for a permanent residence permit? You have to do another application.

When can I extend my residence permit?

You can submit the application form 3 months before your residence permit expires. This will give the IND sufficient time to make a decision. In case of a positive decision, your new residence permit will be ready in time.

Is your residence permit still valid for more than 3 months? Then you cannot yet submit an application to extend your stay. The IND is then unable to make a proper assessment.

Online application

Do you have a residence permit for which a recognised sponsor is required, such as study or highly skilled migrant? The recognised sponsor (your employer or educational institution for instance) will have to submit the application for the extension of your residence permit. You cannot do this yourself.


The IND will check whether you still meet the conditions associated with your residence permit. There are certain conditions that apply to everyone. In addition:

  • You currently have a valid Dutch residence permit.

  • You wish to extend this residence permit with the purpose of stay you now have.

  • You have your main residence in the Netherlands.

  • Your situation has not changed. These are changes that could be of influence on your right to stay.

    For example:

    • You have a residence permit to stay with your spouse and you are now divorced. This means you no longer meet the conditions of your residence permit. You cannot extend your residence permit.

    • You have a residence permit for work in paid employment, however, you no longer have any work.

If your situation has changed, you cannot extend your residence permit. You can, however, change your residence permit.


After the application

Collect your residence permit

The IND will send you a letter to inform you when you can collect the residence permit. For this, you have to make an appointment online at the IND desk stated in the letter. Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice. Therefore, please schedule an appointment in time.

Check to see if the information on the residence permit is correct while you are still at the IND desk. If something is incorrect, inform the IND staff member at once.

The validity of the new extended residence permit depends on the kind of permit you have. And the purpose for which you have received the residence permit. The maximum validity is 5 years. But your residence permit may be valid for a shorter period.

My residence permit has expired. I have applied for an extension. Am I still allowed to work?

Were you allowed to work with your previous residence permit? Then you may continue to do so providing that you have submitted your application for extension in time. Meaning that we have received it before the expiration date of your previous permit.

My residence permit has expired. What must I do?

If your residence permit has expired, you must submit an extension as soon as possible. Because you submit the application after your residence permit has expired, it is possible you may be faced with a residence gap.
You can do this up to a reasonable period of 2 years after the expiration of your permit. Has your residence permit expired for more than 2 years? The IND then rejects your application for a extension.

Did you apply for an extension? Then you can apply for a residence endorsement sticker at the IND desk. This sticker is placed in your passport. With this sticker you can prove that you are allowed to live in the Netherlands.

Do you not have a passport? And is it not possible to get one? You can apply for a Vreemdelingen Identiteitsbewijs.

I have applied for an extension. Can I go on holiday abroad?

Is your residence permit still valid on the day you return to the Netherlands? It is then OK to travel. You do need to have a valid travel document. For example, a passport. You also have to take your residence permit with you when you travel.

Has your residence permit already expired? Then sometimes a return visa is needed to return to the Netherlands. You have to make an appointment for this.

My GVVA- single permit (residence permit and an additional document.) has expired. I have applied for an extension. Am I still allowed to work?

For employees for whom, after 5 April 2017, a renewal application GVVA has been submitted, it is, under specific conditions and pending the decision of the application, possible for them to keep working for their employer.

They must have a residence sticker (VA sticker) with an indication of work status placed in their passport. With this VA-sticker in the passport, the employee can then show that he is staying legitimately in the Netherlands and is allowed to work. If the application for renewal can be granted, then the GVVA (including the supplementary document) will be linked, in principle, to the earlier GVVA.

The worker may, pending the decision on the application for renewal, keep working if:

  • the application is submitted in time, that is, if the request is received by the IND before expiration of the period of validity of the previously granted GVVA;
  • the employee continues to do the same work for the same employer; and
  • there is a VA sticker placed in the passport, with which it can be demonstrated that he is allowed to keep working for his employer.

    Requesting an extension on time
    It is advisable to submit a renewal request for the GVVA for your employee on time, that is about 3 months before the expiration of the GVVA. The IND will then, in most cases, have ruled on the request before the period of validity of the previously granted GVVA has expired. In that case, the employee does not need to apply for a VA-sticker. The IND needs a total of 90 days to process a GVVA request, the so-called 'statutory period.' The statutory period of 5 weeks, in which the UWV formulates an opinion, is part of this. The IND does strive to make a decision on a fully submitted GVVA application within 7 weeks.

    Making an appointment
    To request a VA sticker at the IND desk, the employee must make an appointment by telephone. Please take into account that it may take some time before you are given an appointment at the IND desk, and make your appointment well before the end of the period of validity of the GVVA.

I have been outside the Netherlands for more than 3 months. Can I still apply for an extension?

For an application to extend your stay, the IND checks whether you have changed your main residence . Have you changed your main residence? The IND will then not extend your residence permit. You will have to apply for a new residence permit.


How do I complete an online application?

Validity residence permit

​On the front of your residence permit is written 'geldig tot' (valid until) with a date. This is the date until which your residence permit is valid. For example: you residence permit mentions 31 May 2019 under 'geldig tot'. After 31 May 2019 your residence permit is not valid anymore. You have to leave the Netherlands before or on this date or apply for extension before 31 May 2019 (however, the IND advises to apply for extension at the latest 3 months before the residence permit expires, thus at the latest 2 March 2019 in this example).

DigiD with SMS code

Nowadays you can arrange many things yourself on government websites. With DigiD you log in to your personal account on government websites. Your DigiD consists of a username and password that you both choose yourself. Don't have a DigiD yet? Request this on www.digid.nl.

​To apply for a residence permit online you need to have a DigiD with SMS code. After logging in with your DigiD you will receive an SMS with a code. You will have to fill out this code as well to get access to the online application forms.

Do you have a DigiD but no SMS code verification? Please go to Mijn DigiD and log in. Choose 'Extra sms-controle aanvragen' and enter your mobile phone number. Within 5 days you receive a letter with an activation code. Activate the sms control functionality on the website of DigiD with this activation code.

formal decision

​A formal letter with the decision on your application.

Residence gap

​A residence gap means that the validity of your residence permits is not continuous. To start an application for permanent residence or a request for Dutch citizenship you must have 5 years continuous residence. With a residence gap your residence is not continuous anymore. You again have to build up 5 years of continuous residence.

For example: your residence permit has expired on 31 May 2016. You have applied for extension on 5 June 2016. You new residence permit is issued with a starting date of 5 June 2016. You have a residence gap between 31 May 2016 and 5 June 2016. Starting on 5 June 2016 you again need to have a valid residence permit for five years. In this example, you thus have to wait until 5 June 2021 before you can apply for permanent residence or Dutch nationality.