• Home
  • Medical treatment

Medical treatment

You wish to come to the Netherlands for medical treatment. You need a residence permit for this. What are the conditions for this residence permit? And how does the application procedure work?

Other conditions apply to persons with the nationality of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and their family members.


There are certain conditions that apply to everyone. In addition, the following conditions apply:

  • The Netherlands is the most appropriate country for you to undergo the medical treatment. In assessing this opinion is requested of the BMA (Medical Advice Bureau) of the IND. The following factors play a role:
    • The nature of the disease.
    • The Netherlands has a particular specialisation available that does not exist elsewhere.
    • Other factors that treatment elsewhere  is less appropriate; financial circumstances play no role here.
  • The medical treatment has to be necessary.
  • The medical treatment has to be taken care of financially. You have health insurance that covers the treatment in the Netherlands. This health insurance may not be paid out of a social welfare benefit or other benefits from public funds. Or you can demonstrate that the financing of the treatment is regulated in a different way. The insurance premium may also not be paid with a social welfare benefit.
  • You must have a sufficient independent long-term income. Another person can pay for your stay in the Netherlands.
  • You sign a medical declaration. By signing this declaration, you consent to a medical research if necessary.

You do not have to have a valid passport if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You are in the Netherlands.
  • Your identity and nationality are sufficiently clear. The authorities of your country of origin do not question your identity and nationality.
  • You can only get a new passport in your country of origin.
  • Ending your medical treatment will lead to a medical emergency.
  • You can not be treated for your medical complaints in your country of origin.

Residence permit medical treatment after suspension of departure

Have you been granted suspension of departure based on Article 64 of the Aliens Act? You may then apply for medical treatment. Your application must directly follow the year of the postponement. Apply in the period between 28 days before or 28 days after the end date of the postponement.

You will not get the residence permit for medical treatment after 1 year of suspension of departure on the ground of article 64 of the Aliens Act if you have not actively contributed to getting guarantees for access to medical care in your country of origin and to organising your departure for the Netherlands.

Other conditions may apply for Turkish nationals and their family members.


This application costs € 1057.

Do you apply for medical treatment after 1 year of suspension of departures under Section 64 of the Aliens Act? You do not have to pay for this application.

Checklist documents

The application form lists the documents that you must enclose with the application.

You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German.


After the application

Collect your residence permit

The IND aims to have your residence permit ready within 2 weeks following your arrival in the Netherlands. The IND will send you a letter indicating when you can collect your residence permit. For this, you have to make an appointment online at the IND desk stated in the letter. Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice. Therefore, please schedule an appointment in time.

Check to see if the information on your residence permit is correct while you are still at the IND desk. If something is incorrect, please inform the IND staff member at once.

Registration with the municipality

Upon arrival in the Netherlands, you must register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP)  in the municipality you are going to live.

To register with the municipality you need a legalised and translated  birth certificate. Take this therefore with you when you travel to the Netherlands.

Please contact your municipality in advance to check which (legalised and translated) documents/ certificates you need to take with you.

TB test

You have indicated your intent to undergo a tuberculosis test (TB test) when you applied. You have to make an appointment for this with the Area Health Authority (GGD). You do this within 3 months after having received your residence permit. Please take the 'TB test referral form' with you to the appointment.

In some cases you are exempt from taking a TB test.

Take out health insurance

Anyone living in the Netherlands must take out health insurance. You do this within 4 months following your arrival in the Netherlands.

Validity residence permit

The residence permit for medical treatment is valid for as long as the the medical treatment is needed, with a maximum period of 1 year. 

Right to work

The back of your residence permit shows if you are allowed to work. You are not allowed to work with a residence permit for medical treatment. Your residence document states 'arbeid niet toegestaan' (work not permitted').

Legal obligations

​There are a number of legal obligations that apply to you.

The IND monitors your compliance with these legal obligations. Failure to meet these legal obligations may have consequences.

Further applications (extend or change) / return visa

Replace residence permit

Is your residence permit damaged, lost or stolen? In that case, have the residence permit replaced.

Extend residence permit

Is your residence permit due to expire soon? And are you still undergoing medical treatment in the Netherlands? Apply for an extension.

Change residence permit

Having had a residence permit for medical treatment for 3 years, you may change your residence permit to an independent residence permit.

Has something changed in your situation that influences your residence permit? Please report this immediately to the IND. It may mean that the residence permit has to be changed sooner.

Return visa

If you are awaiting a procedure, you do not have a valid residence document at present and you wish to travel outside the Netherlands, you may need a return visa to re-enter the Netherlands. This could be the case if your current residence permit is no longer valid or your current residence permit will expire during your stay outside of the Netherlands. To apply for a return visa you must meet certain conditions. 

Dutch representation

​This is the Dutch embassy or consulate.

Country of continuous residence

​A country of continuous residence is a country (other than the country of origin) where you may lawfully live for more than 3 months. This means you have a valid residence permit for that country. Or that you are waiting for your application for a residence permit to be approved.

Are you in a country in your free term? Or with a visa for short stay (maximum of 3 months)? This is not continuous residence.

formal decision

​A formal letter with the decision on your application.