• Home
  • Honour related and domestic violence

Honour related and domestic violence

You are a victim of (potential) honour-related or domestic violence and you do not have a valid residence permit. You may be able to get a residence permit as a victim of honour-related or domestic violence.

Other conditions apply to persons with the nationality of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and their family members.


There are certain conditions that apply to everyone. In addition to these conditions, the following conditions apply to you:

Honour-related violence

  • There is a potential risk of honour-related violence in the Netherlands and in the country of origin.
  • The threat is real and cannot be removed in the short-term.
  • The threat of honour-related violence is severe enough. This is in any event the case when it involves one of the following situations:
    • Life-threatening crimes against the victim or his children, including incitement to suicide.
    • The (threat of) mutilation, abuse or deprivation of liberty of the victim or his children.
    • Exclusion, thereby making it impossible for the victim to live independently in the country of origin.
    • Child abduction.
    • Violence that leads to distressing circumstances, such as forced separation between parent and child or forced marriage.
  • You do not meet the conditions for another residence permit.

Domestic violence

  • There is (a potential risk of) domestic violence.
  • The domestic violence is the reason why the marriage or relationship has ended. This does not apply if you are younger than 18 years of age.
  • The domestic violence is unrelated to honour(killings).
  • You cannot escape the domestic violence by returning to your country of origin.
  • You do not meet the conditions for another residence permit.


Do you have a residence permit to stay with your family? This application costs € 174.

  • Are you a minor? Your application costs € 58.

Do you not have a residence permit? You do not have to pay for this application.

Checklist documents

The application form lists the documents that you must enclose with the application.

You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German.


After the application

Collect your residence permit

The IND aims to have your residence permit ready within 2 weeks following your arrival in the Netherlands. The IND will send you a letter indicating when you can collect your residence permit. For this, you have to make an appointment online at the IND desk stated in the letter. Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice. Therefore, please schedule an appointment in time.

Check to see if the information on your residence permit is correct while you are still at the IND desk. If something is incorrect, please inform the IND staff member at once.

Registration with the municipality

Upon arrival in the Netherlands, you must register in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP)  in the municipality you are going to live.

To register with the municipality you need a legalised and translated  birth certificate. Take this therefore with you when you travel to the Netherlands.

Please contact your municipality in advance to check which (legalised and translated) documents/ certificates you need to take with you.

TB test

You have indicated your intent to undergo a tuberculosis test (TB test) when you applied. You have to make an appointment for this with the Area Health Authority (GGD). You do this within 3 months after having received your residence permit. Please take the 'TB test referral form' with you to the appointment.

In some cases you are exempt from taking a TB test.

Take out health insurance

Anyone living in the Netherlands must take out health insurance. You do this within 4 months following your arrival in the Netherlands.

Validity residence permit

​The residence permit granted on temporary humanitarian grounds is valid for 1 year.

Right to work

The back of your residence permit shows if you are allowed to work. You are free to work. Your residence permit states 'arbeid vrij toegestaan, TWV niet vereist (work freely permitted, no work permit required).

Legal obligations

​There are a number of legal obligations that apply to you.

The IND monitors your compliance with these legal obligations. Failure to meet these legal obligations may have consequences.

Further applications (extend or change) / return visa

Replace residence permit

Is your residence permit damaged, lost or stolen? In that case, have the residence permit replaced.

Extend residence permit

Is your residence permit due to expire soon? Apply for an extension.

Change residence permit

When you have had a residence permit on temporary humanitarian grounds as a victim or witness reporting human trafficking for 1 year, you can change your residence permit to an independent residence permit on non-temporary humanitarian grounds.

Has something changed in your situation that influences your residence permit? Please report this immediately to the IND. It may mean that the residence permit has to be changed sooner.

Permanent residence permit

After having had a residence permit for 5 years, you may apply for a permanent residence permit.

Becoming a Dutch citizen

After having had a residence permit for 5 years, you may apply for Dutch citizenship.  

Return visa

If you are awaiting a procedure, you do not have a valid residence document at present and you wish to travel outside the Netherlands, you may need a return visa to re-enter the Netherlands. This could be the case if your current residence permit is no longer valid or your current residence permit will expire during your stay outside of the Netherlands. To apply for a return visa you must meet certain conditions. 

formal decision

​A formal letter with the decision on your application.


​A TWV is a work permit. The employer applies for a TWV with UWV (Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency). UWV examines among other things if there is no employee with the Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss nationality that is qualified for the job.