Temporary residency Brexit

Last update: 3 April 2023

You want to apply for a temporary residence document because you fall under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement. Find out what the requirements are and how you can apply for the residence document.


Show details Hide details
  • General

    open minus
  • Family reunification from 1 January 2021

    open minus

Applying too late and illegal stay

Are you applying for a residence document on or after 1 October 2021? Then, your application is too late. The IND does process late applications. If your application is late, but before 1 October 2022, you do not need to explain why you are late. 

Do you apply on or after 1 October 2022? Then, during your online or written application you always need to explain why your application is too late. Also enclose supporting documents. After that, the IND will decide if you have a good reason for being too late. The IND will only consider late applications done on or after 1 October 2022 if you have a good reason.

If your application is late, your stay in the Netherlands becomes illegal. Illegal stay has serious consequences for you, such as losing work, benefits and subsidies. Does the IND grant a late application? Then your stay will have been legal from 1 October 2021.

Process and costs

These are the steps in the application process for the residence document.

Show details Hide details

Application forms

You can apply online if you are a UK national. To do so, you need DigiD with SMS verification and internet banking (iDEAL).

Online application form temporary residence document WA

Written application forms

Download the form if you prefer to fill in the application in writing and send it by post.

You must use the written application form in one of these situations:

• You are family of a UK national. And the UK national does not have to submit an application for themselves or has already got a residence document.
• You are family of a UK national. And the UK national has already submitted an online application as main applicant for other family members.

The residence document

Find out what else you need to know about the residence document 'Residence document Withdrawal Agreement'.

Show details Hide details