Working holiday residence permit

Last update: 19 February 2024

A working holiday is a cultural exchange programme or scheme (WHP or WHS) for young people aged 18 to 30 from certain countries. The main purpose is to get to know Dutch society and culture. Find out what the requirements are and how to apply for the residence permit.


These requirements apply to you.

  • You have the nationality of one of the countries taking part in the  WHP or WHS programme in the Netherlands. Or a passport issued by the government of Taiwan. For the Working Holiday Programme (WHP) and the Working Holiday Scheme (WHS), the Netherlands has an agreement with these countries:
    • Argentina
    • Australia 
    • Canada
    • Hong Kong
    • Japan
    • New Zealand
    • South Korea
    • Taiwan
    • Uruguay
  • You meet the general requirements that apply to everyone.
  • For Japan and South Korea: you have a valid pre-registration certificate to take part in the WHP. You can apply for this pre-registration certificate at the Dutch Embassy in Tokyo or Seoul.
  • You are at least 18 and no more than 30 years old at the time of the application.
  • You previously did not have a residence permit in the Netherlands for the purpose of an exchange.
  • You have a return ticket. Or you can show that you have enough money to buy a ticket for the return journey.
  • You have enough money to pay for the initial period in the Netherlands. You must estimate how much money you need. You may not receive social benefits from Dutch public funds.
  • You have insurance that covers the cost of healthcare in the Netherlands.
  • You are coming to the Netherlands for cultural exchange. The main purpose is to get acquainted with Dutch society and culture. You may complete a short study or course during the exchange.
  • You meet the requirements for the WHP/WHS set out in the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) or the Note Verbale of your country. You must, for example, live in the country of your nationality when you submit the application. 
  • Every year, no more than 100 young people from Argentina, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Uruguay may come to the Netherlands on the WHP/WHS. 
  • Every year, no more than 100 young people from South Korea may come to the Netherlands on the WHP. A maximum of 200 young people applies to Japan.

Process and costs

Show details Hide details
  • 1. Check requirements open minus
  • 1. Check requirements open minus
  • 2. Collect documents open minus
  • 2. Collect documents open minus
  • 3. Apply open minus
  • 3. Apply open minus
  • 4. Pay for application open minus
  • 4. Pay for application open minus
  • 5. Wait for decision on application open minus
  • 5. Wait for decision on application open minus
  • 6. Decision on application open minus
  • 6. Decision on application open minus
  • 7. Collect MVV and travel to the Netherlands open minus
  • 7. Collect residence permit open minus
  • 8. Collect residence permit open minus

Application forms

Written application forms

You are a national of Argentina, Hong Kong, Taiwan or Uruguay. You take this form with you to your appointment for the mvv application at the Dutch representation.

Online application form Working Holiday

You can only submit this application online if you have a Australian, Canadian or New Zealand nationality and u are applying for your first residence permit.

Written application forms

Are you from Japan or South Korea and did u apply to the Dutch representation for a pre-registration certificate before you travelled to the Netherlands? Or do u live in the Netherlands with a residence permit and do you wish to change to Working Holiday? Please, use the written application form:

The residence permit

Find out what else you need to know about the residence permit:

Working with the residence permit

It says on the back of your residence permit: ‘Work permit not required for occasional work while on WHP/WHS, other work not permitted’ (in Dutch: TWV niet vereist voor incidentele arbeid in het kader van WHP/WHS, andere arbeid niet toegestaan). 

Occasional work means that you are allowed to work only to financially support your stay in the Netherlands. Then your employer does not need a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV) for you. You may, for example work fulltime, but not the whole year for the same employer. Nor may you work as a self-employed person. This is because the main purpose of your stay is cultural exchange.    

Legal obligations

You have an obligation to provide information. This means that you must notify the IND of changes in your situation.

Read more about your obligation to provide information.

The IND checks whether you meet your obligations. If you do not, you may get an administrative fine

Validity of the residence permit

The residence permit for a working holiday is valid for a maximum of 1 year. 

Other applications

You cannot extend the working holiday residence permit. Has your residence permit been damaged, lost or stolen? Then have your residence permit replaced. Visit the web page residence permit damaged or change of details or residence permit lost or stolen.