Positive decision - provisional residence permit (mvv) and regular residence permit

You have received a letter from the IND containing a positive decision on your application. This means that your partner will receive a provisional residence permit (mvv) and regular residence permit. You and your partner now have to arrange a few things.

​Your partner collects the mvv at the Dutch diplomatic or consular representation

Your partner collects their mvv at the same embassy or consulate where they took the basic civic integration examination, or at the same Dutch representation you chose on the application form.

Collect the mvv within three months

Your partner makes an appointment for this at the Dutch representation. The appointment confirmation states which documents your partner must bring.

Have biometrics taken

During the appointment, an embassy staff member will take your partner's fingerprints. Your partner will also be asked to provide a signature. The staff member will also take a photograph of your partner, or your partner must bring a passport photo to the appointment. The IND needs this data to prepare the residence permit.

Your partner's passport must be valid for at least 6 months

The staff member at the Dutch representation will place the mvv in your partner's passport. The mvv itself is valid for 3 months. The period of validity is stated on the mvv. The mvv is valid from the start date. From the expiry date the mvv is no longer valid.

Your partner travels to the Netherlands

The mvv is valid for 3 months. Your partner must therefore travel to the Netherlands within 3 months.

The mvv is valid in all Schengen countries

The Netherlands, together with many other EU Member States, is a party to the Schengen Agreement. People can travel freely between Schengen countries. Therefore, if your partner is going to travel to the Netherlands via a different Schengen country, they will not need an additional visa for that country.

Is your partner going to travel via a country that is not a party to the Schengen Agreement? Your partner should check whether a visa is needed at the embassy of that country.

Collect the residence permit

You will receive a letter when your partner's residence permit is ready. This is usually 2 weeks after your partner has collected the mvv from the embassy.

Sometimes the fingerprints the IND receives from the embassy are not good quality

You will then receive a letter for your partner to have their finger prints taken again. In that case make an appointment online to have biometrics taken.

Make an appointment at the IND desk where the residence permit is ready

You must always first make an appointment online to pick up the residence permit. The letter states at which IND desk the residence permit is ready. Your partner must collect the residence permit themselves.

Check at the IND desk whether the information on the residence permit is correct

Is something not correct? Tell the IND staff member immediately. This staff member will correct the information and have a new residence permit made. You will not be charged for this.

Your partner's residence permit is valid for 5 years

Do you (the sponsor) have your own residence permit? In that case your partner's residence permit will be valid until the end date of your permit.

Register at the town hall

Your partner must register in the Personal Records Database (BRP) at your town hall. Contact your local council (gemeente) yourself. Your partner will then also obtain a citizen service number (BSN).

During registration, the local council will ask for a legalised and translated birth certificate. So have your partner bring this with them when they travel to the Netherlands.

Have a tuberculosis (TB) test done

Did your partner advise in the application that they are willing to participate in tuberculosis (TB) research? Your partner must undergo an examination within 3 months after they obtain the residence permit. If they do not, the IND may revoke the permit.

Make an appointment with the Gemeenschappelijke Gezondheidsdienst (GGD)

The appointment can take place in the town where you live. Or in a town close to you. Take the appendix TB test referral form with you to the appointment at the GGD. Fill in your partner's personal details yourself. The GGD staff member will complete the rest of the form.

Dutch representation

​This is the Dutch embassy or consulate.