Permanent residence permit for (ex-)privileged persons and their family members

Last update: 29 March 2024

Are you a (ex-)privileged person in the Netherlands? Or are you a family member of a (ex-)privileged person in the Netherlands? And do you want to live permanently in the Netherlands? You need a permanent residence permit. Find out what the requirements are and how you can apply for the residence permit.

What is a (ex-)privileged person?

A privileged person is someone who lives and works in the Netherlands as a diplomat, consular employee or international organisation. Privileged persons have a special privileged status.

An ex-privileged person is someone who no longer has the privileged status, through actions other than their own.



Show details Hide details
  • (ex-)Privileged person

    open minus
  • Family members of (ex-) privileged persons

    open minus

Process and costs

These are the steps in the application process for the residence permit.

Show details Hide details

Application form

Written application forms

Download the form, fill it in and send it by post.
Aanvraag voor een EU verblijfsvergunning voor langdurig ingezetene of een verblijfsvergunning regulier voor onbepaalde tijd - 6009 (Only available in Dutch)

The residence permit

What else you need to know about your residence permit.

Working with the residence permit

It says on the back of your residence permit whether you are allowed to work. You are free to work in the Netherlands with a permanent residence permit. Your employer does not need to have a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV) for you. It says on your residence document ‘Free to work, work permit not required’ (in Dutch: Arbeid vrij toegestaan, TWV niet vereist). 


With a residence permit for an 'EU long-term resident' or 'permanent residence permit' you have almost the same rights as someone with Dutch nationality. The difference is that you are not allowed to vote in national elections. And that you are not allowed to work in certain special government sectors. For example for the police or the army. In order to do so, you must first apply for Dutch nationality.

Legal obligations

You have an obligation to provide information. Find out more about your legal obligations on the page Obligations foreign national and sponsor of family member.

The IND checks whether you meet your obligations. What if you do not? Then you can get an administrative fine

Other applications

Replace residence permit 

Has your residence permit been damaged, lost or stolen? Then have the residence permit replaced. Visit the web page Residence permit damaged or change of personal details or Residence permit lost or stolen.

Renew permanent residence permit

A permanent residence permit is always issued for 5 years. When it expires, you can apply for renewal. Visit the web page Renew permanent residence permit