Due to a malfunction some pages do not show all content. We are working on a solution. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Au pair agency

You work for an au pair agency that wishes to bring young persons to the Netherlands for a stay as an au pair. You have to be a recognised sponsor to do this. What are the conditions? And how does the application procedure work?

This page only explains the recognition as a sponsor for an au pair. You can find the conditions for an au pair residence permit on the page of this purpose of stay. Here, however, you can find the exchange notification form and the separate appendices of the application forms.

To bring a person to the Netherlands as an au pair, your organisation has to be recognised by the IND. In order to be recognised as a sponsor, your organisation must be a reliable partner for the IND. After your organisation has been recognised, it will be entered in the Public Register for Recognised Sponsors.


There are certain conditions that apply to all recognised sponsors. In addition, the recognition for exchange purposes is subject to the following conditions:

  • Your au pair agency is located in the Netherlands. Or in another Member State of the EU/EEA.
  • Your au pair agency has a cultural objective.
  • Your au pair agency implements an exchange programme that has been approved by the Minister of Migration.


This application costs € 2008.

The application recognition as sponsor due to change in business entity costs € 2008.

Checklist documents

The application form lists the documents that you need for your application.

You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German.


After the recognition

After the applicaton for recognition

You are a recognised sponsor for the purpose of residence of 'exchange'. This recognition only applies to this purpose of residence. An exchange concerns the applications for an au pair, cultural exchange and working holiday. Recognition is not mandatory for the applications for a working holiday.

Submitting appliction on behalve of au pairs

After your recognition has been approved, you may submit applications for the au pair residence permits. Your organisation declares in the application form that the au pair meets the conditions. You do not have to sent the documents given by this young person to demonstrate this to the IND.

Having applications submitted by an authorised representative

You can authorise an organisation or institution to submit the applications on your behalf. You send a one-time authorisation to the IND. This authorisation states who you authorise to submit the applications on your behalf. You sign the authorisation.

The authorised representative enters the name of your organisation and his own data on the application form when submitting the application. The application form has a separate field for this.

Change in business entity

​When the business entity of your institution or company changes, you will again need to apply for recognition as sponsor for the new business entity. This application for recognition costs € 2008.



As a recognised sponsor you have a number of rights: 

  • The aim of the IND is to decide on your applications within 2 weeks. This is only possible if you complete the application in full. Are documents missing? The IND cannot then meet the term of 2 weeks.
  • You can send less documentary evidence to the IND. An own statement is often enough. This states that the au pair meets all the conditions for entry and residence in the Netherlands.
  • You can direct any questions you have to a special email address. See the contact details on the right side of this page for the address.


As recognised sponsor you have a responsible task. You assess all applications for a residence permit for exchange purposes and submit the applications. The IND has no or hardly any contact with the young person taking part in the exchange. Everything runs through you. 

The migration policy is based on trust in you as recognised sponsor. The IND checks afterwards if:  

  • the young person taking part in the exchange (still) meets the conditions for residence;
  • you continue to meet the conditions for recognition; and
  • you fulfil your obligations as sponsor.

You are also responsible for organisations that you have authorised to submit applications on your behalf.

Apart from your rights, you must, as recognised sponsor, therefore meet a number of statutory obligations.

Legislation and regulations of the au pair policy

Please find below several links to articles set out in laws and regulations.