We are working on our website. As a result, Tuesday 28 september between 08:00 and 09:00 (CEST) our business portal, My IND and the online application forms are not available

Extension residence permit asylum

​You have a temporary asylum residence permit. Your residence permit is almost expired. You want to extend your asylum residence permit.

When you have had a temporary asylum residence permit for 5 years, you might be eligible for a permanent asylum residence permit. One of the requirements is that you have obtained the civic integration diploma.


You have to meet the following conditions:

  • The reason why you have gotten asylum still applies.

  • You have your main residence in the Netherlands.

  • You have not given wrong information and you have not withheld information that would have made it possible for the IND to reject your asylum application.

  • You are not a threat to public order or national security.

When can I extend my residence permit?

From 6 months before your residence permit expires, you can submit an application. Until you have a new residence permit, you can apply for an identity document for foreign nationals type W.

You have to submit the application when your temporary asylum residence permit is still valid. In this way you prevent problems and ensure that you can legally stay in the Netherlands. Are you submitting the application too late? Then you can lose your right to protection and other provisions in the Netherlands. The IND may also withdraw your residence permit.

My residence permit is no longer valid. What should I do?

If your residence permit is no longer valid, you have to request an extension as soon as possible. Please, use the written application form. You cannot use the online application.

Did your residence permit expire before 1 October 2018? You may have a gap in your residence. Send a letter with your application in which you explain why you are too late with your application. 


You do not have to pay for the extension of your temporary asylum residence permit.

Apply online

You can only submit this application online if you currently have a valid residence permit.
For the online application you need:

Help logging in with DigiD

You can get an explanation about DigiD in different languages (Dutch, English, French, Arabic and Tigrinya).

Start the online application by clicking the button Apply online.

Is your residence permit not valid anymore? Please use the written application. You can find this form on this page. Please scroll down.

Apply online

1. Submit application


You can submit your application online 6 months before your residence permit expires. For this purpose, you need a DigiD with SMS code.

Via post

You cannot or prefer not to submit the application online? Then send your application by post. You can find the application form on this page under Application forms and costs. Send the completed application form together with the required documents to the IND. You can submit the application 6 months before your residence permit expires.

2. Complete the application form

You apply for recognition with the application form. You can find the form below, under 'Application forms and costs'. Please enclose all requested documents and send the complete application to the IND.

After your application has been received, the IND sends a confirmation letter. The confirmation letter states the date the IND has received your application. It also states the period within which the IND makes a decision.

3. Working and identifying during your application

​You currently have a temporary asylum residence permit. You can work as long as this permit is valid. You can also (keep) work(ing) while your application is being considered. Please note that your employer can sometimes ask for a valid residence document. If so, you can apply for an identity document for foreign nationals type W. This document states that you can (keep) work(ing) while your application is being considered. Do you need a document during the application to prove who you are? You can also apply for this identity document type W.

Request the identity document for foreign nations type W between 8 and 4 weeks before your residence permit expires. Then you can collect the document before your residence permit expires. When you collect the identity document for foreign nationals type W, you have to hand in your temporary residence permit, even if it is still valid.

4. Decision

The IND checks whether you meet all the conditions. The IND has to decide within a period of 6 months.

Negative decision
If you do not meet the conditions, the IND will not extend your residence permit. This decision is given in the form of a letter: the intended decision. The IND explains why you have not been given a residence permit. Do you disagree with the intended decision? You can write to the IND explaining why you do not agree. You must do this within 6 weeks. You can ask a lawyer to help you with this. You have to arrange this yourself.

The IND will assess your view given in your letter. This decision is given in the form of a letter: the formal decision. There are then 2 possible outcomes:

  • The IND rejects your application. You are not given a residence permit. You will receive information about the possibility to appeal.
  • The IND expires your residence permit. The IND also informs you about your rights and obligations.

Positive decision
If you meet all the conditions, the IND will extend your residence permit. This decision is given in the form of a letter: the formal decision. It also includes information about your rights and obligations. At the same time, your residence document will be prepared.  The IND will send you a letter to inform you when you can collect your residence permit.

Application forms

Aanvraag Verlenging verblijfsvergunning asiel bepaalde tijd; of Verblijfsvergunning asiel onbepaalde tijd; of EU-verblijfsvergunning voor langdurig ingezetenen (foreign national)6011

Use this form for the extension of your residence permit asylum, to apply for a permanent residence permit asylum or to apply for a residence permit long term resident EC. This form is only available in Dutch.

Checklist documents

The application form lists the documents that you have to enclose with the application. 

How to send documents to the IND:

  • You only send copies of your documents, single-sided and on A4 paper.
  • The copies must be complete and legible.
  • Write down your V-number or client number on each copy. If you do not know these numbers, then please write your name and date of birth on each copy.
  • Do not send USB sticks, CDs or DVDs.
  • You keep the original documents yourself. You have to show these documents to the Dutch representation abroad.
  • Documents have to be translated to Dutch, English, French or German.

Costs application

You do not have to pay for the application for extension of your temporary residence permit asylum.

For a permanent residence permit asylum or a residence permit long term resident EC you pay € 192. Children under 18 pay € 64.

Apply online  Download  

After the application

Collect your residence permit

The IND will send you a letter to inform you when you can collect the residence permit. For this, you have to make an appointment online at the IND desk stated in the letter. Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice. Therefore, please schedule an appointment in time.

Check to see if the information on the residence permit is correct while you are still at the IND desk. If something is incorrect, inform the IND staff member at once.

The validity of the new extended residence permit depends on the kind of permit you have. And the purpose for which you have received the residence permit. The maximum validity is 5 years. But your residence permit may be valid for a shorter period.

My residence permit has expired. I have applied for an extension. Am I still allowed to work?

Were you allowed to work with your previous residence permit? Then you may continue to do so providing that you have submitted your application for extension in time. Meaning that we have received it before the expiration date of your previous permit.

What is the difference between a temporary asylum permit or a permanent asylum permit?

  • You have to extend your temporary residence permit every 5 years. If you do not do this, your residence in the Netherlands is no longer legal. The right of residence under a permanent residence permit never expires. But you have to apply for a new residence document every 5 years.

  • Extending a temporary asylum permit is free of charge. For a permanent asylum permit you have to pay.

  • For a permanent asylum residence permit you must have passed the civic integration examination or be exempt. This is not required for a temporary asylum permit.

  • In most cases, you can only apply for Dutch nationality if you have a permanent asylum permit.

Did you apply for a permanent asylum residence permit, but do you not meet the conditions? The IND will automatically check if you meet the conditions to extend your current temporary residence permit.

I have applied for an extension. Can I go on holiday abroad?

Is your residence permit still valid on the day you return to the Netherlands? It is then OK to travel. You do need to have a valid travel document. For example, a passport. You also have to take your residence permit with you when you travel.

Has your residence permit already expired? Then sometimes a return visa is needed to return to the Netherlands. You have to make an appointment for this.

Do you have an asylum residence permit and are you travelling to your country of origin? Then you are indicating that you do not need the protection of the Dutch government any longer. The IND can revoke your residence permit.

I have been outside the Netherlands for more than 3 months. Can I still apply for an extension?

For an application to extend your stay, the IND checks whether you have changed your main residence . Have you changed your main residence? The IND will then not extend your residence permit. You will have to apply for a new residence permit.

Public order

Public order is peace and order on the street and in public spaces. The government organises and controls this peace and order in society. Someone who is a danger to the public order is someone who disrupts this order, for example, someone who commits an offence. The IND therefore checks whether an individual has any registered convictions. We also check whether that person is currently a serious threat to society.

DigiD with SMS code

Nowadays you can arrange many things yourself on government websites. With DigiD you log in to your personal account on government websites. Your DigiD consists of a username and password that you both choose yourself. Don't have a DigiD yet? Request this on www.digid.nl.

​To apply for a residence permit online you need to have a DigiD with SMS code. After logging in with your DigiD you will receive an SMS with a code. You will have to fill out this code as well to get access to the online application forms.

Do you have a DigiD but no SMS code verification? Please go to Mijn DigiD and log in. Choose 'Extra sms-controle aanvragen' and enter your mobile phone number. Within 5 days you receive a letter with an activation code. Activate the sms control functionality on the website of DigiD with this activation code.

formal decision

​A formal letter with the decision on your application.