• Home
  • Apply for temporary residency after Brexit

Apply for temporary residency after Brexit

You would like to apply for temporary residency under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement. Find out what the conditions are and how to apply for a temporary residence document.

NB Are you a UK national and is your family member travelling to the Netherlands to come to live with you? Find out what you need to do on our web page Family Reunification after Brexit.

On this page

Apply online for temporary residency after Brexit

You can submit this application online. The main applicant must be a UK national. You can apply at the same time for your spouse or (registered) partner and your children under 18.


  • Dutch nationals cannot apply for their British spouse, partner or children. You can of course help your British family member(s) to complete the form online. Your British family member may need to provide information about your income to support their application. 
  • Have you had a child or have you adopted a child after 31 December 2020? Your child will receive a residence document under the Withdrawal Agreement if you submit an application. This is only possible if you (or the other parent) already have  (has) a residence document under the Withdrawal Agreement.

Use the apply button below to start the online application.

Important tips regarding your application

  • What if you dot not have a V-number as requested in the application form? You still can submit the application. The IND will create a V-number afterwards. This number will be in the letter (acknowledgment of receipt) you receive after submitting your application.
  • Completing the online application form and looking for United Kingdom in the country drop-down list? Please select Great Britain.
  • The country of birth drop-down list in the online application form is based on country names at the time of your birth. This has been agreed internationally.
Apply onlineLogo DigiD

Visit Government.nl for information about getting help in applying for a residence document and more.

Written application

In these circumstances you may have to submit a written application:

  • You are a family member of a UK national who does not need to submit an application for themselves or already has a (EU permanent or other) residence document.
  • You are the family member of a UK national who has already submitted an online application as main applicant for their partner and other member(s) of your family. The IND will contact you if we do not receive applications from one household at the same time.
  • You cannot submit an online application.

Find out more under Application forms and costs below.


Visit our Brexit page about conditions (legal requirements) for temporary residency after Brexit.

What you need to submit your application online

Before starting your online application, make sure that you have all the following. You can submit an application at the same time for other family members. Make sure you also have their documents.

  1. DigiD with sms code; or DigiD app. If you do not yet have a DigiD, apply for it on www.digid.nl/en. If you have a DigiD, but have not yet set up the identity check with sms, you can activate this on MijnDigiD. For help with DigiD, visit this website (available in several different languages (Dutch, English, French and Arabic). Read the explanation about the DigiD app for more information (in Dutch and English).
  2. iDEAL (online payment method) to pay for your application. You need a Dutch bank account to set this up.
  3. Scanned copy of the pages of your passport showing your personal details and period of validity saved on your computer or phone (any format).
  4. Scanned copy of any other documents you need to upload (see below).
  5. Citizen Service Number (BSN).

Documents for online application

The online application explains which documents you need to upload. Which documents you need to present depends on your purpose of residence in the Netherlands:

  • Employment / employee
  • Self-employed
  • You are not working and have sufficient resources to support yourself
  • Study

Document checklist

The IND is asking you for documents so we can assess your application.

The following documents must be uploaded for everyone for whom an application is submitted:

  • Pages of passport showing personal details and document validity.

Additional documents are required depending on the reason for your residence in the Netherlands, such as:

  • Employment / employee: contract of employment. Or employer's declaration completed and signed by your employer.
  • Self-employed entrepreneur: extract (uittreksel) from the Chamber of Commerce and the most recent (provisional) tax assessment and income tax return from the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration. Or, if you do not have tax documents yet: balance sheet, profit and loss account, annual accounts or monthly operating results. Or financial statements  that have been officially drawn up by an accountant.
  • You are not working and have sufficient resources: a health insurance policy or card. And documents showing that you have sufficient resources, for example:
    • overviews of your savings, pension, shares portfolio, inheritance, maintenance or rental income from property. NB With a credit card you can not show sufficient resources; or
    • financial details of the person you maintain or income details of your spouse or partner. NB With a credit card you can not show sufficient resources
  • Study: registration at the educational institution, documents showing you have sufficient resources and health insurance card or policy.

The online application explains which documents to upload in each case. 

UK documents

  • Documents drafted by diplomatic or consular officials do not have to be legalised. You can use these documents directly in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
  • From 1 January 2021, all other documents from the UK need to be legalised with an apostille. This applies to:
    • documents issued on or after 1 January 2021; and
    • documents issued before 1 January 2021 received by the IND after this date. 

    An apostille is a sort of stamp or sticker placed on your document. Legalised documents can be used in the Netherlands. Contact the British authorities to have your documents legalised. On netherlandsworldwide.nl you can find out more about legalising documents from the UK.

    Official foreign documents

    All official foreign documents must be legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German. Visit netherlandswordwide.nl for more information about legalisation requirements for documents by country  Or call the Public Information Service on 1400.


    This application costs ​€ 69.

    The cost for children under 18 is ​€ 37.

    1. Submit application and pay

    Click on the apply online button above to submit your application. You need to pay the fee at the same time. You will immediately receive a message by email. This is proof of your online application.

    Would you like to submit a written application? Download the application form below. Send the completed application form and documents to the IND by post. When the IND receives your application, you will receive a letter from the IND. This letter will explain how you can pay for the application.

    2. Receipt and application check

    After your application has been received, the IND will send you a letter. This is an acknowledgment of receipt. The letter states the date on which the IND received your application. It also states the legal decision period. This is the period within which the IND has to decide on your application.

    Have you received the acknowledgment of receipt? Then make an appointment online as soon as possible to have your biometric data taken. Without your biometrics, the IND cannot prepare your residence document.

    The IND will then check to see if your application is complete. Are any documents missing or incorrect? Then the IND will send you a request to rectify the omission. This letter lists the documents that you still need to send to the IND. Send them before the date indicated. You can also upload the required documents via the Apply button on the IND website's home page.

    My IND and Message Box (Berichtenbox)

    Follow the status of your application in My IND. Did you also register to receive messages from the IND digitally in your Message Box (Berichtenbox) on mijn.overheid.nl? And did you provide your e-mail address? Than you will receive an e-mail when you have new mail from the IND.

    3. Decision

    The IND checks if you meet all the necessary conditions. The conditions are the legal provisions that apply.

    By law, the decision period for this application is 6 months. The is the time within which the IND has to decide on your application.

    Negative decision

    If you do not meet the conditions, you will not receive a temporary residence document. This decision will be provided in the formal decision. You can register an objection to the decision.

    Positive decision

    If you meet all the conditions, you will be given a temporary residence document. You will receive a letter from the IND when you can collect your residence document.

    Application forms

    Application Residence document Withdrawal Agreement6530

    Please, use this form for the application for a Residence document Withdrawal Agreement for UK nationals and family members.

    The application form lists the documents that you have to enclose with the application. 

    You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German.

    How to send documents to the IND:

    • Only send copies of your documents, single-sided and on A4 paper.
    • The copies must be complete and legible (clear enough to be read).
    • Write your V-number or client number on each copy. If you do not know these numbers, then please write your name and date of birth on each copy.
    • Do not send USB sticks, CDs or DVDs.
    • You keep the original documents yourself.

    Costs application

    This application costs ​€ 69.

    The cost for children under 18 is ​€ 37.

    Apply online  Download  

    After the application

    Collection of your residence document

    The IND aims to have your residence document ready within 2 weeks following the positive decision. You collect your residence document by appointment from the IND desk.

    Validity of residence document

    ​Your residence document is valid for 5 years. It shows your residence right for a non-temporary purpose. And you are not obligated to integrate. 

    Have you lawfully lived for 5 consecutive years in the Netherlands? Then, you can apply for a permanent residence document right away. You do not need to wait for expiry of your temporary permit first.

    Read information about staying abroad without losing your Dutch residence rights

    Register in the BRP at your town hall

    ​If you intend to stay in the Netherlands for more than 4 months, you must go in person to register in the Personal Records Database (BRP) at the town hall where you are going to live.

    To register, you need a legalised and translated birth certificate. Therefore take this with you when you travel to the Netherlands.

    Take out health insurance

    Everyone living in the Netherlands must take out health insurance within 4 months of arriving in the Netherlands.

    Right to work

    ​You are allowed to work in the Netherlands. This is stated on the back of your residence permit. Your employer does not need to have a work permit TWV for you. Your residence permit states arbeid vrij toegestaan, TWV niet vereist (work allowed free from restrictions, work permit not required).

    Claiming public funds

    ​Are you receiving money from your local council, for example social welfare benefits? Then you are claiming public funds. In such a case, the IND could decide that you may no longer live in the Netherlands. Did you ask your local council for benefits after living here legally for 5 years? Then this does not affect your right to live in the Netherlands.

    More information about living and working in the Netherlands is available on the website of the SZW Inspectorate. This is available in several languages.

    Subsequent applications (extend or change)

    ​Replace residence document

    Has your residence document been damaged, lost or stolen? In that case, have your residence document replaced.

    Extend residence permit

    Is your residence document due to expire soon? Apply for an extension.

    Permanent residence

    Have you lawfully lived for 5 consecutive years in the Netherlands? Then, you can apply for a permanent residence document right away. You do not need to wait for expiry of your temporary permit first. The time that you can live here under the Withdrawal Agreement counts towards the period of 5 years.

    Become a Dutch citizen

    After 5 years' lawful residence in the Netherlands, you can apply for Dutch citizenship. The time that you can live here under the Withdrawal Agreement counts towards the period of 5 years. Then, the same rules for EU/EEA nationals apply.


    ​A TWV is a work permit. The employer applies for a TWV with UWV (Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency). UWV examines among other things if there is no employee with the Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss nationality that is qualified for the job.