Change a Schengen visa from single-entry to multiple-entry

Last update: 22 February 2023

​Do you have a Schengen visa? And do you want to travel into the Schengen Area more than once? Read whether you can change your single-entry visa to a multiple-entry visa.

Who can apply to change a visa to multiple-entry?

You are in the Netherlands on a valid type-C Schengen visa. This is a single-entry visa. This means you can only travel into the Schengen Area once. Read which countries are in the Schengen Area. An unusual and unexpected situation has come up. As a result, you must now travel into the Schengen Area multiple times. For this reason, you want to change your visa to a multiple-entry visa. This is a visa that you can use to travel into and out of the Schengen Area more than once. In this case, request a change to your visa from the Netherlands Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

A multiple-entry visa does not allow you to stay in the Netherlands or the Schengen Area for longer than a single-entry visa. Thus, a multiple-entry visa lets you stay in the Schengen Area for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days.

Requirements for changing a visa

The following conditions apply to changing your visa from single-entry to multiple-entry:

  • Your passport will be valid for at least 3 more months after the planned departure date.
  • You have a valid short-stay Schengen visa (type C). You have received a visa from the Netherlands or another country in the Schengen Area. Read which countries are in the Schengen Area.
  • A new, unusual and unexpected situation has come up. This means the situation first arose after your visa application. This situation must be one of the following:
    • Force majeure. This means that the situation is beyond your control.
    • Serious humanitarian reasons
    • Serious reasons related to your work
    • Serious personal reasons
  • When applying for your visa, it was not clear that you had to travel to the Schengen area more often.
  • You are using your visa for the same purpose for which you received it.
  • You still have enough money to cover the costs of staying in the Schengen Area.
  • You have a travel health insurance policy in your name. The policy covers at least EUR 30 000 in medical expenses in the Schengen Area. It covers expenses for at least the following:
    • Travel home for medical reasons
    • Urgent medical attention
    • Emergency hospital treatment
  • You are still leaving the Schengen area on the date stated on your visa.
  • It is certain that you will be granted entry to your own country or another country.

Documents you need

You must provide documents showing that you meet the conditions. To change your Schengen visa to a multiple-entry visa you need the following documents:

  • Your valid passport
  • Documents explaining why you want to change your visa. These document must demonstrate an unusual and unexpected situation. For instance: a certificate from medical specialist or general practitioner, an obituary or an invitation from a company
  • Proof that you have enough money
  • Proof of travel health insurance (policy or insurance card)

How to apply to change a visa to multiple-entry

To change your short-stay Schengen visa, make an appointment with an IND service desk. You must come to the appointment in person. If you are younger than 18 years of age, your parent or guardian must come with you.

Call to make an appointment to change your visa.


Cost of changing a visa

The application to change a short-stay Schengen visa from single-entry to multiple-entry costs € 30,00. You must pay the fee at the meeting at the IND Desk.

Decision on your application

Bring the requested documents to your appointment. The IND will assess your application during the meeting. The decision will be either positive or negative. If the decision is positive, you will receive a multiple-entry Schengen visa. The service desk employee will apply the multiple-entry visa in your passport. This is still a type-C Schengen visa. If the decision is negative, the IND will not change your visa to a multiple-entry visa.

Apply for review of the decision

If your visa was not changed and you disagree with the decision, please ask the IND employee to prepare a letter explaining the rejection. You will receive this letter explaining the negative decision within 2 weeks. With this decision letter you can apply for review. Find out more about applying for review or appealing a decision from the IND.

See also

Responsible organisation

Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst


Contact us

Your Europe