Child born in the Netherlands

Your child is born in the Netherlands and does not yet have a residence permit. You wish to apply for a residence permit on behalf of your child for the first time. What are the conditions for this residence permit? And how does the application procedure work?
Does your child already have a residence permit? Please go to permit extension or change permit for your follow-up application. 

Other conditions apply to persons with the nationality of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and their family members. ​

Are you awaiting a decision on your application for asylum? You cannot apply for this residence permit then. 


There are certain conditions that apply to everyone. In addition, you and your child have to meet the following conditions:

  • Your child is born in the Netherlands and does not have a residence permit. 
  • Your child is part of your family household. 
  • From your child's birth, you and your child have your main residence in the Netherlands. 
  • You have a valid residence permit or you have become a Dutch citizen after your child was born.
  • You declare that you are the sponsor of your child.

Do you and your child meet all conditions? Then the IND will not deny your child a permit if your child does not have a passport. 

Turkish nationals and their family members 

Other conditions may apply for Turkish nationals and their family members.

Child of a UK national with a residence document Withdrawal Agreement EU-UK 

Is 1 or are both parents of the child a UK national with a residence document Withdrawal Agreement EU-UK? Then for your child you also apply for a residence document Withdrawal Agreement. Read more about family reunification after Brexit

Apply online

You can submit this application online. For the online application you need:

Do you not have DigiD yet? Apply for DigiD on Do have DigiD, but not have identity check with sms yet? Activate this through MijnDigiD

Help with logging in with DigiD + sms and DigiD app

  • Information on DigiD + sms: go to explanation on DigiD for more information in different language (Dutch, English, French and Arabic).
  • Information on DigiD app: go to explanation DigiD app for more information (Dutch and English).

You can start the online application by clicking the button 

Apply onlineLogo DigiD

Do you have a residence permit as a victim of or witness reporting human trafficking? Please, use the written application.


This application costs € 69. 

Checklist documents 

The application form lists the documents that you have to enclose with the application. You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German.

1. Submit application and payment

You apply for the residence permit to the IND. You use the application form. You send the application form and the documents required to the IND by post. After the application has been received, the IND sends a letter stating how the fees are to be paid.

Your child has to give biometric information at an IND Desk within 2 weeks after having sent the application.

2. Receipt and check application

After your application has been received, the IND sends a confirmation letter. The confirmation letter states the date the IND has received your application. It also states the period within which the IND makes a decision.

After you have received a confirmation letter, your child can provide biometric information. Is your child younger than 1 year? Then you have to have your child take a passport photo with a photographer and send it yourself by using the Appendix photo card.

The IND will check to see if your application is complete. Are documents missing or not correct? In that case, the IND will send a letter: a request to rectify the omission. This letter lists what you still need to sent. Send the requested documents before the mentioned date to the IND.

My IND en Message Box (Berichtenbox)

Follow your application in My IND. Did you register with the Message Box (Berichtenbox) for mail from IND? And did you enter you e-mail address? Than you will receive an e-mail from the Berichtenbox when you have new mail from IND.

3. Decision

​The IND checks whether you and your child meet all the conditions required for the residence permit. The IND has to make a decision within a period of 90 days.

  • Negative decision
    If you or your child do not meet the conditions, your child will not get a residence permit. This decision is given in the formal decision. You can register an objection against this decision.
  • Positive decision
    If you and your child meet all the conditions, your child will get a residence permit. You will receive a letter from the IND to collect the residence permit together with your child.

Application forms

Application for a residence permit with the purpose of residence being ‘family members and relatives’ (sponsor)7518

Use this form if you start the application for your child.

Checklist documents

The application form lists the documents that you have to enclose with the application. 

You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German.

How to send documents to the IND:

  • You only send copies of your documents, single-sided and on A4 paper.
  • The copies must be complete and legible.
  • Write down your V-number or client number on each copy. If you do not know these numbers, then please write your name and date of birth on each copy.
  • Do not send USB sticks, CDs or DVDs.
  • You keep the original documents yourself. You have to show these documents to the Dutch representation abroad.

Costs application

This application costs € 69.

Sometimes other costs apply.

Start online application  Download  

After the application

Collect the residence permit

The IND will send you a letter indicating when you and your child can collect the residence permit. For this, you have to make an appointment online at the IND desk stated in the letter. Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice. Therefore, please schedule an appointment in time.

Check to see if the information on the residence permit is correct while you are still at the IND desk. If something is incorrect, inform the IND staff member at once. 

TB test

You have indicated your intent to undergo a tuberculosis test (TB test) when you applied. You have to make an appointment for this with the Area Health Authority (GGD). You do this within 3 months after having received your residence permit. Please take the 'TB test referral form' with you to the appointment.

In some cases you are exempt from taking a TB test.

Take out health insurance

Anyone living in the Netherlands must take out health insurance. You do this within 4 months following your arrival in the Netherlands.

Validity residence permit

The validity of the residence permit depends on your situation. If you have a temporary residence permit, then the end date of your child's residence permit matches yours. If you are a Dutch citizen or you have a permanent residence permit, your child's residence permit is then valid for 5 years. 

Legal obligations

There are a number of legal obligations that apply to you and your child.​

The IND monitors your compliance with these legal obligations. Failure to meet these legal obligations may have consequences.

Further applications (extend or change) / return visa

Replace residence permit

Is your child's residence permit damaged, lost or stolen? In that case, have the residence permit replaced.

Extend residence permit

Is your child's residence permit due to expire soon? Apply for an extension.

Change residence permit

After your child has received a residence permit to stay with family, you may change his residence permit for an independent residence permit.

Has something changed in your child's situation that influences his residence permit? Please report this immediately to the IND. It may mean that the residence permit has to be changed sooner.

Permanent stay

When your child has had a residence permit to stay with family for 5 years, you may apply for a permanent residence permit on his behalf.

Return visa

If your child is awaiting a procedure, he does not have a valid residence document at present and he wishes to travel outside the Netherlands, he may need a return visa to re-enter the Netherlands. This could be the case if the current residence permit is no longer valid or the current residence permit will expire during his stay outside of the Netherlands. To apply for a return visa he must meet certain conditions.


How do I complete an online application?


​A sponsor is a person, employer or organisation that has an interest in the arrival of the foreign national in the Netherlands. A sponsor has rights, but also obligations with regard to the foreign national. The sponsor can start the application for the foreign national from the Netherlands .

DigiD with SMS code

Nowadays you can arrange many things yourself on government websites. With DigiD you log in to your personal account on government websites. Your DigiD consists of a username and password that you both choose yourself. Don't have a DigiD yet? Request this on

​To apply for a residence permit online you need to have a DigiD with SMS code. After logging in with your DigiD you will receive an SMS with a code. You will have to fill out this code as well to get access to the online application forms.

Do you have a DigiD but no SMS code verification? Please go to Mijn DigiD and log in. Choose 'Extra sms-controle aanvragen' and enter your mobile phone number. Within 5 days you receive a letter with an activation code. Activate the sms control functionality on the website of DigiD with this activation code.

formal decision

​A formal letter with the decision on your application.