Leniency for Ukrainians in the Netherlands

Last update: 27 May 2022

In the time to come, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service is going to deal leniently with applications by Ukrainians for regular residency. Because of this, Ukrainians who are or arrive in the Netherlands will not have to be concerned about their right of residence here.

Since the invasion of Russian troops in Ukraine, the IND has had more than 300 worried people on the telephone with questions about their right of residence. 

Short stay

Residents of Ukraine can enter the Netherlands without a visa, thanks to the Association Treaty that the EU concluded with Ukraine in 2017. People with a biometric passport may then stay here freely for 90 days, the so-called visa-exempt term. It is also possible for Ukrainians to apply for a short-stay visa. This also enables them to stay in the Netherlands for 90 days. It is now possible to extend a short-stay visa or the visa-exempt term to 180 days at most. Moreover, it has been agreed that residents of Ukraine who exceed the maximum period in connection with the present situation will not experience any problems with this.  

Long stay

Ukrainians who want to come to the Netherlands for a longer period, for example to work here or for family reunification, normally need to apply for a provisional residence permit (MVV) or to pick it up in Ukraine. As this is no longer possible, they can move to surrounding countries. Under certain circumstances, Ukrainians are no longer still required to travel abroad to pick up an MVV. In addition, under certain circumstances, they can also immediately pick up a residence permit in the Netherlands. 

Should official source documents be missing when an application is submitted, then the IND will see together with the applicant whether other documents can serve as an alternative.


If Ukrainians apply for asylum in the Netherlands, then they will also have a process and reception in the Netherlands, as every asylum seeker has.  


For more information see Ukraine: effects on stay or application | Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).