Due to a malfunction some pages do not show all content. We are working on a solution. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Parent(s) of a minor Dutch child

​You are a parent of a minor Dutch child. You wish to live in the Netherlands with your child. You yourself are not a national of the EU, EEA Member States, or Switzerland.  You need a residence permit to live with your minor Dutch child. What are the conditions for this residence permit? 


  • You are the (step-, foster-) parent of a minor Dutch child.
  • Your Dutch child is younger than 18 years of age.
  • You do not pose a threat to public order.
  • You do not have the nationality of an EU/EEA member State or Switzerland.
  • You do not have lawful stay in an EU/EEA member State (incl. the Netherlands) or Switzerland.
  • You can prove your identity and nationality by means of a valid passport or other travel document. If you do not have this, then you are able to show other documentation unambiguously stating your identity and nationality.
  • You are actually participating in the care and upbringing of your child (whether or not in co-operation with the other parent).
  • Your child is in such a way dependent on you that if you would be denied residency in the Netherlands, the child has no other option than to leave the European Union with you.
  • Your Dutch child lives in the Netherlands. This means that your child is registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) in the municipality where you live.


This application costs € 58.

Checklist documents

The application form lists the documents that you have to enclose with the application.

You have to have official foreign documents legalised and translated into Dutch, English, French or German.

After the application

Collect your residence document

​The IND aims to have the residence document ready for you within 2 weeks after the decision. You receive a letter when you can collect the residence document. For this, you have to make an appointment online at the IND desk stated in the letter. Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice. Therefore, please schedule an appointment in time.

Check to see if the information on the residence document is correct while you are still at the IND desk. If something is incorrect, inform the IND staff member at once.

Registration with the municipality

If you are staying in the Netherlands for more than 4 months, you have to register him in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP)  in the municipality you are going to live.

To register with the municipality, your child needs a valid legalised and translated  birth certificate. Take this therefore with you when you travel to the Netherlands.​

Take out health insurance

Anyone living in the Netherlands must take out health insurance. You do this within 4 months following your arrival in the Netherlands.


The back of your residence document states whether you may work in the Netherlands. Your employer does not need a TWV for you. Your residence document states arbeid vrij toegestaan, TWV niet vereist (work permitted free from restrictions, work permit not required).

Further applications

Replace residence document

Is your residence document damaged, lost or stolen? In that case, have the residence document replaced.

Replace residence document

Is your residence document due to expire soon? You cannot extend your residence document. Instead you apply for Verification against EU law again. You submit the application to an IND desk. You have to make an appointment for this.

Permanent residency or obtaining Dutch citizenship

With the residence permit for staying with a minor Dutch child, you cannot apply for permanent residence for EU citizens (duurzaam verblijf), a regular permanent residence permit or a residence permit as a long-term resident EC. Also, it is not possible for you to apply for Dutch citizenship.

Public order

Public order is peace and order on the street and in public spaces. The government organises and controls this peace and order in society. Someone who is a danger to the public order is someone who disrupts this order, for example, someone who commits an offence. The IND therefore checks whether an individual has any registered convictions. We also check whether that person is currently a serious threat to society.

formal decision

​A formal letter with the decision on your application.


​A TWV is a work permit. The employer applies for a TWV with UWV (Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency). UWV examines among other things if there is no employee with the Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss nationality that is qualified for the job.