Renew permanent residence permit

Last update: 6 July 2023

You want to renew the residence document of your residence permit for permanent residency. Find out what the requirements are and how to renew the residence document.


You want to extend your permanent residence document. This is called renewal of the residence document. This requirement applies to the renewal of your residence document.

  • You have legally resided  in the Netherlands.
  • You have one of these documents:
    • Permanent regular residence permit (type II)
    • Long-term resident EC (type V)
    • Permanent asylum residence permit (type IV)
    • Permanent residence citizens of the European Union (type EU/EEA)

Process and costs

These are the steps in the application process for renewal of your residence document.

Show details Hide details

Application forms

You can submit this application online. You must have DigiD with SMS verification and internet banking (iDEAL).

Online application form renewal

Written application forms

Download the form if you prefer to fill in the application by hand and send it by post.
Application for replacement or renewal of foreign national’s document (6013)

The residence document

What else you need to know about the residence document.

Working with the residence document

It says on the back of your residence document whether you are allowed to work. With this residence permit, you are free to work in the Netherlands. Your employer does not need to have a work permit (TWV) for you. It says on your residence document ''Free to work, work permit not required'' (in Dutch:  Arbeid vrij toegestaan, TWV niet vereist).


With a permanent residence permit, you have almost the same rights as someone with the Dutch nationality. The difference is that you are not allowed to vote in national elections. And that you are not allowed to work in certain special government sectors. For example, you cannot join the police force or the army.

Other applications

Replace residence document

Has your residence document been damaged, lost or stolen? Then have your residence document replaced. Visit the web page about residence document damaged or change of personal details of residence document lost or stolen.