Regular temporary residence permits
Within The purposes of stay are written as stated on the residence document, with an English translation.
Non-temporary purposes of stay
Do you have a residence permit regulier bepaalde tijd (type I) for one of these purposes? Than your permit is non-temporary. With that permit you could apply for Dutch nationality.
Arbeid als niet-geprivilegieerd militair of niet-geprivilegieerd burgerpersoneel (Work as non-privileged military or non-privileges civilian personnel)
Arbeid als zelfstandige (Work as a self-employed)
Arbeid in loondienst (Work in paid employment)
Europese blauwe kaart (European blue card)
Kennismigrant (Highly skilled migrant)
Niet-tijdelijke humanitaire gronden (Non-temporary humanitarian purposes)
Onderzoeker in de zin van richtlijn (EU) 2016/801 (Scientific researcher as in Directive (EU) 2016/801)
Verblijf als economisch niet-actieve langdurig ingezetene (Residence as an economically non-active long-term resident EU)
Verblijf als familie- of gezinslid (Residence as a family member); the family member you are living with:
- is a Dutch national; or
- has a regular or asylum permanent residence permit (regulier or asiel onbepaalde tijd); or
- has a regular temporary permit for a non-temporary purpose of stay.
Verblijf conform beschikking Staatssecretaris (Residence according to decision Secretary of State), if the decision states that the residence is non-temporary
Vermogende vreemdeling (Foreign investor)
Temporary purposes of stay
Do you have a residence permit regulier bepaalde tijd (type I) for one of these purposes? Than your permit is temporary. With that permit you cannot apply for Dutch nationality.
- Afwachten verzoek op grond van artikel 17 RWN (Await decision after a request based on article 17 RWN)
- Grensoverschrijdende dienstverlening (Cross-border service provider)
- Lerend werken (Internship or work-experience)
- Medische behandeling (Medical treatment)
- Overplaatsing binnen een onderneming (intra corporate transferee)
- Tijdelijke humanitaire gronden (temporary humanitarian purposes)
- Seizoenarbeid (Seasonal work)
- Studie (Study)
- Uitwisseling (Exchange, including au pair)
- Verblijf als familie- of gezinslid (Residence as a family member); the family member you are living with has a:
- temporary asylum permit;
- temporary regular permit for a temporary purpose;
- residence as a family member with a minor Dutch child
- Verblijf conform beschikking Staatssecretaris (Residence according to decision Secretary of State), if the decision states that the residence is temporary
- Zoeken naar en verrichten van arbeid al dan niet in loondienst (Orientation year higher educated)
Asylum residence permits
Do you have a temporary asylum residence permit? Most of the times you cannot become a Dutch national. You first need to apply for a permanent asylum permit. In these situations you can become a Dutch national with a temporary asylum permit:
- You are 18 years or older and stateless. Please note: nationality 'unknown' is not stateless.
- You came to the Netherlands as a family member of a refugee (journey in connection with family reunification). The family member you are staying with has a permanent residence permit, a temporary residence permit for a non-temporary purpose of stay or the Dutch nationality.
- You are under 18 and your father or mother has a permanent asylum residence permit. You are included in your parent's application for naturalisation.