We all want to live with our family around us. Every year, many people apply to have their partner, child, or other family member come to the Netherlands. We assess whether these relatives are allowed to stay in the Netherlands.

Having family come over

An important part of the IND’s job is to process applications from people who would like to bring a family member to the Netherlands. A Dutch citizen may have met their partner on holiday and they now want to live together in the Netherlands. We receive many applications from parents who want to bring their child who is under 18 to the Netherlands. And many asylum seekers living in the Netherlands wish to have their family members come and live with them.

This is how we work

We assess every application for a residence permit with great care. We always investigate whether applicants meet the requirements. We do this with the help of the documents they have submitted, among other things. We check the birth or marriage certificate, for example. And we check whether someone has an income and has passed the civic integration exam.

Experiences applicants

Experiences applicants

Eventually, it is important that our applicants can trust that we work according to up-to-date legislation. Contributing to this gives me satisfaction


Lees het verhaal chevron-right

Important topics

Rights of residence and code 98

No right of residence in the Netherlands: if this is the case, the IND registers it under a code called code 98. This subject regularly appears in the media. That is why we would like to explain how code 98 and other residence codes work.

Au pairs

Au pairs often come to the Netherlands for cultural exchange. To do so, they need a residence permit from the IND. In 2022, the government will tighten the au pair scheme to limit any disguised employment and labour exploitation.

Family reunification

Anyone who is not safe in their own country can obtain protection in the Netherlands (asylum). Asylum seekers who have a right to this can build a future in the Netherlands. Sometimes, reunification with family members who have stayed behind is part…

More about our areas of work


Coming to the Netherlands for a great job or interesting studies. Find out more about the application process.


Those who have had to flee from persecution or violence can apply for asylum in the Netherlands.


Becoming Dutch officially and then applying for a passport. Find out more about naturalisation or option.