• Home
  • Renew permanent residence permit (incl. EU permanent residence)

Renew permanent residence permit (incl. EU permanent residence)

Your permanent residence document is about to expire. You wish to apply for a new one. How does the application procedure work?

Renew residence document

If your residence document for permanent stay (incl. EU permanent residence) expires, you can apply to renew it. This applies to the following residence documents:

  • Permanent regular residence permit (type II)
  • Long-term resident EC (type V)
  • Permanent asylum residence permit (type IV)
  • Permanent residence citizens of the European Union (type EU/EEA)

Apply online

You can submit this application online. For the online application you need:

Do you not yet have a DigiD? Apply for a DigiD on www.digid.nl. You do have a DigiD but have not set up the identity check with sms yet? Then activate this through MijnDigiD.

Help logging in with DigiD + sms and DigiD app

  • Information about DigiD + sms: read the explanation about DigiD available in different languages (Dutch, English, French and Arabic).

  • Information about DigiD app: read the explanation about the DigiD app (in Dutch and English).

You can start the online application by clicking the button Apply online.

Is your residence permit not valid anymore? Please use the written application. You can find this form on this page. Please scroll down.

Apply online


This application costs € 58.

  • The cost for children under 18 is € 31.


After the application

Collect your residence permit

You receive a letter when you can collect the residence permit at the IND desk. For this, you have to make an appointment online at the IND desk stated in the letter. Keep in mind that it is not always possible to visit an IND desk at short notice. Therefore, please schedule an appointment in time.

Check to see if the information on the residence document is correct while you are still at the IND desk. If something is incorrect, inform the IND staff member at once.

Period of validity of the residence document

The period of validity of the regular permanent residence document is always 5 years.

The period of validity of the EU permanent residence document is always 10 years.

Right to work

The back of your residence document shows if you are allowed to work. You are free to work in the Netherlands with this residence document. Your employer does not have to have a work permit   for you. Your residence permit states 'arbeid vrij toegestaan, TWV niet vereist' (work freely permitted, no work permit required).


Having a permanent residence document means you nearly have all the same rights as someone with Dutch nationality. The main differences are that you are not allowed to vote in national elections and you are not allowed to work in specific (Government) fields (such as the police, the army). You first have to apply for Dutch nationality for this. 

Replace residence permit

Is your residence document damaged, lost or stolen? In that case, have the residence document replaced.


How do I complete an online application?

DigiD with SMS code

Nowadays you can arrange many things yourself on government websites. With DigiD you log in to your personal account on government websites. Your DigiD consists of a username and password that you both choose yourself. Don't have a DigiD yet? Request this on www.digid.nl.

​To apply for a residence permit online you need to have a DigiD with SMS code. After logging in with your DigiD you will receive an SMS with a code. You will have to fill out this code as well to get access to the online application forms.

Do you have a DigiD but no SMS code verification? Please go to Mijn DigiD and log in. Choose 'Extra sms-controle aanvragen' and enter your mobile phone number. Within 5 days you receive a letter with an activation code. Activate the sms control functionality on the website of DigiD with this activation code.

formal decision

​A formal letter with the decision on your application.


​A TWV is a work permit. The employer applies for a TWV with UWV (Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency). UWV examines among other things if there is no employee with the Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss nationality that is qualified for the job.