• Home
  • Appointment return visa

Appointment return visa

Please note: Do you not require a visa? Please first read the information under 'Do you not require a visa?'

Can I apply for a return visa?

You can apply for a return visa if:

  • You have submitted an application for an extension, change in purpose of stay or permanent residence. You are waiting for a decision.
  • Your residence document has been lost, stolen or damaged. Or your residence document has the wrong information on it.
  • Your child was born in the Netherlands. You have applied for the first residence permit for your child. You are waiting for a decision.
  • You have applied for your first permit for staying with a family member with the nationality of an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland or staying with your minor Dutch child. You are awaiting a decision. Upon submitting the application, you received a residence endorsement sticker type 'Verblijfsaantekening voor gemeenschapsonderdanen' in your passport.

Please make sure to schedule an appointment in time. Especially during holidays, it can be very busy.

Compelling reasons

In the following situations you can only apply for a return visa if you have a compelling reason:

  • You have applied for your first residence permit. You are waiting for a decision. Your mvv has expired or you do not require an mvv.
  • Your application for a residence permit has been rejected. You have submitted an application for review or an appeal. You are allowed to await the decision in the Netherlands. Your mvv has expired or you do not require an mvv.

For example, one of the compelling reasons is:

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

  • Your valid passport (or other travel document).
  • Your appointment code. You will receive this in an email confirmation when you make an appointment online.
  • Your (expired) residence document. Or the official report of loss or theft from the police (if your residence permit has been lost or stolen).
  • If compelling reasons apply you have to show supporting documents that you have compelling reasons to travel abroad.

Appearing in person

You are required to apply for your return visa in person at the IND Desk.
Children under 18 years are required to attend together with a parent or legal representative when applying for their return visa.

Make appointment at IND desk

Use the Online appointment button to make an appointment.

Online appointment

Other important information


You can pay the costs immediately in full at the IND Desk.  Payments can only be made in cash or by debit card. No payments can be made by credit card.

A return visa costs € 161. 

Turkish nationals and their family members pay € 47.

You are not required to pay for a return visa if:

  • You entered the Netherlands with a valid mvv, but your residence permit has not yet been issued.
  • You have been given an extension of your residence permit, but the new permit is valid for less than 1 month. You will be given an official decision instead of a residence document.
  • You have submitted an application. The statutory period has passed and the IND did not make a decision yet.
  • You have a valid diplomatic passport.
  • You are a family member of an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen.
  • You have been exempted from the required fees by the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
  • You are subject to the application of the Act relating to the position of the Moluccans.

Travelling with a return visa

​If you have a return visa as well as a valid passport (or other travel document), you can return to the Netherlands.
Are you passing through another country on your way to your destination abroad or back to the Netherlands? The return visa allows you to transit freely through all Schengen countries on both the outbound and inbound trip. You do not need an additional visa or permission. The return visa does not allow you to stay (e.g. for a holiday) in another Schengen country.

Period of validity of a return visa

​A return visa is valid for up to 3 months, but no longer than 1 month before the expiry date of your passport.

In some cases a return visa is valid for more than 3 months:

  • You have a residence permit based on study and you are awaiting a decision on your application for extension. You are required to go abroad for a longer period of time as part of your study. The return visa is valid for a maximum of 6 months.
  • You have applied for a new permanent residence permit. Your current permanent residence permit is no longer valid. A return visa is valid for a maximum of 12 months.
  • You are a Moluccan. The return visa can be valid for 12 months or more.

What is printed on a return visa?

A return visa is placed as a sticker in your valid passport on the day of your appointment. This day is also the date of entry of the return visa 

The sticker has the following information:

  • Your V-number
  • The date on which the visa was issued.
  • Whether you can travel back to the Netherlands with the valid visa once (single entry) or multiple times (multiple entry).
  • The expiry date of the visa. You must have returned to the Netherlands before that date.
  • Your passport number.

Staying abroad

​Are you already abroad when your residence permit expires, is lost or stolen? Report this to the Dutch representative  in the country where you are staying. They can, if necessary, provide you with a visa for traveling back to the Netherlands.

Do you not require a visa?

​Are you not a subject to a visa requirement? Then you can travel back to the Netherlands from abroad during your permit-exempted term. You do not require a return visa.
However, other authorities or organisations (e.g. an airline company or customs authorities) may not accept that and may require you to have a return visa. Please contact the other authorities or organisations prior to your journey to verify this. Are you not subject to a visa requirement, but still wish to apply for a return visa? Then normal costs apply.


The IND has several locations in the Netherlands. Please check contact for directions to the IND desks.

​Cancel appointment

Are you unable to attend?
Cancel your appointment using the link in the email confirming your appointment.

Family member in the 1st and 2nd degree

First degree

Second degree