Coming to the Netherlands and reception

Last update: 23 June 2022

Refugees from Ukraine do not have to report to the IND when they arrive in the Netherlands. Reception is possible at several local councils in the Netherlands.

Information about travelling to and from Ukraine

You can find frequently asked questions about travelling from Ukraine to the Netherlands on the Netherlands worldwide website. It is not safe to travel to Ukraine.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs can be reached day and night on +31 247 247 247.

Travel freely with a biometric passport

Ukrainians with a biometric passport can travel freely to the Netherlands. They can stay in the Netherlands without a residence permit for 90 days during the visa-exempt term. You do not have to register at the application center in Ter Apel. This is also not necessary if your visa-exempt term (or short-stay visa) has already expired. Please read more about staying longer in the Netherlands according to the Temporary Protection Directive Ukraine.

Emergency reception centres in the Netherlands

You do not need to report to the IND when you arrive in the Netherlands. Do you not yet have a place to stay? Special emergency reception centres are being opened by some Dutch local councils. You can ask for assistance at all local councils.  At Utrecht Central Station and Amsterdam Central Station are support centres for the initial reception. The Red Cross is also helping people who need a place to stay. Ask them a question in Ukrainian, Russian or English via Whatsapp: +31 6 48 15 80 53.

You do not apply for asylum at the reception centre. At some of the reception centres the IND will have a contact person who you ask any questions. The reception centres offer a place to sleep for every refugee from Ukraine. Everyone who is entitled to stay in Ukraine is now entitled to reception by a local council. This applies to:

  • Someone with Ukrainian nationality
  • Someone with a Ukrainian residence permit. For example, a Syrian with an asylum permit in Ukraine. Or a student from Nigeria with a study permit in Ukraine.

Medical care without insurance

Do you urgently need medical care in the Netherlands and do you not (yet) have insurance for this? The costs will be covered if it concerns medical care that cannot be postponed. For example, in case of a life-threatening illness. The compensation comes from a special provision for people without insurance. Your doctor or practitioner will request cover for the costs. Have you found work in the Netherlands? Then you are obligated to take out health insurance in the Netherlands. Read more information about health care in the Netherlands in Ukrainian, Russian or English.

Return assistance

Are you Ukrainian and do you want to return to Ukraine? Or are you non-Ukrainian and do you want to return to the country of which you have the nationality? Then you can get help with this from the Repatriation and Departure Service (DT&V). It does not matter whether you are covered by the Temporary Protection Directive or not.