EU/EEA-citizens and Swiss: short stay

You are an EU/EEA citizen or Swiss citizen. You wish to come to the Netherlands for a short stay. You do not need a visa.

​Having a valid travel document (passport or identity card) shows that you are lawfully staying in the Netherlands. The travel document has to be issued by an EU/EEA country or Switzerland.
You may not be a risk to public order.

If you are planning to stay in the Netherlands for more than 4 months, you have to register with the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) of the municipality.

Public order

Public order is peace and order on the street and in public spaces. The government organises and controls this peace and order in society. Someone who is a danger to the public order is someone who disrupts this order, for example, someone who commits an offence. The IND therefore checks whether an individual has any registered convictions. We also check whether that person is currently a serious threat to society.