EU/EEA-citizens and Swiss: short stay

Last update: 24 May 2022

You are an EU/EEA citizen or Swiss citizen. You wish to come to the Netherlands for a short stay. You do not need a visa.

  • ​Having a valid travel document (passport or identity card) shows that you are lawfully staying in the Netherlands. The travel document has to be issued by an EU/EEA country or Switzerland.
  • You do not need a work permit (in Dutch: tewerkstellingsvergunning or TWV) to be able to work.
  • You may not be a risk to public order.
  • If you are planning to stay in the Netherlands for more than 4 months, you have to register with the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) of the municipality.