• Home
  • Au pair policy for EU/EEA and Swiss citizens

Au pair policy for EU/EEA and Swiss citizens

You have the nationality of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland. You do not need a residence permit, EU registration or TWV to work here.

Are you going to stay as an au pair in the Netherlands? And do you and your host family meet all the conditions of the Dutch au pair policy? Then your host family may pay you a maximum of € 340 pocket money per month. You need a recognised au pair agency as your sponsor. And you are staying in the Netherlands based on an exchange programme that the IND has approved.


You are going to stay in the Netherlands as an au pair. Do you and your host family not meet one or more of the conditions of the au pair policy? This has no consequences for your right of residence. However, your host family must then pay you at least the statutory minimum wage.
The Inspectorate SZW (previously known as Labour inspectorate) carries out the inspections. The Inspectorate SZW falls under the responsibility of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment. Does the Inspectorate SZW see that you and your host family do not meet the conditions? The Inspectorate SZW may then impose a fine for violation of the Statutory minimum wage (wml).​


​A TWV is a work permit. The employer applies for a TWV with UWV (Netherlands Employees Insurance Agency). UWV examines among other things if there is no employee with the Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss nationality that is qualified for the job.