Reason to change residence purpose
Your situation has changed
Has your situation changed and you no longer meet the requirements for your current residence permit? Then you must apply for a residence permit for a different residence purpose. A residence purpose is the reason you are living in the Netherlands. You can find out about the different residence purposes on our website, for example under Family and partner, Work and Study. These are some examples of situations in which you must change your residence permit.
- You have a residence permit to live with your spouse or registered partner. Your relationship has now ended, for example because you are divorced, and you no longer live together.
- You have a residence permit to live with your parents, but you are now married yourself or you no longer live with your parents.
- You have a residence permit for study, but you have stopped your studies or you have graduated.
You want a stronger right of residence
Have you already lived in the Netherlands for some time with a valid residence permit? Then you may be able to apply for a residence permit with a stronger right of residence. These are some examples of situations in which you may be able to change your residence permit.
- You have already had a temporary residence permit for 5 years. You may be able to change the residence permit into a permanent residence permit.
- You have had a residence permit for 1 year for residence with your parent(s), adoptive parent(s) or foster parent(s). You may be able to change the residence permit into an independent residence permit on humanitarian non-temporary grounds.
To change the purpose of residence, apply for a residence permit for a different purpose of residence. Go to the web page with information on the residence permit for which you want to apply. There you can read all about the requirements, costs and application process.
No MVV needed
Do you have a nationality that usually needs a provisional residence permit (in Dutch: Machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf or MVV)? Then you do not have to apply for a new MVV. You can immediately apply for a different residence permit in the Netherlands. If you have to choose between ‘With MVV’ and ‘Without MVV’ on the page about the other residence permit, then select ‘Without MVV’.