Please note: Have you submitted an application or an application for review and did the IND exceeded the decision term? You can notify the IND of this situation. Please go to the page Notice of default.

Do you have a complaint about the IND? You can make your complaint in two different ways.    

Complaint by telephone​

Would you like to express your complaint by telephone? Please call +31 (0)88 043 0470.

Complaints form

Would you rather write your complaint down? You may then use the online complaints form.


If you submit a complaint on behalf of someone else, you must be authorised to do so. You do not need authorisation if you are already authorised to act on behalf of this person. For example, as the attorney. Or because you are the sponsor. You also do not need authorisation if you complain on behalf of your partner or child.

What does the IND do with my complaint?

First the IND will assess whether they can process your complaint. If your complaint does not concern the IND it will be forwarded. For example to the police or municipality. You will receive a letter from the IND. The letter states to which organisation your complaint has been forwarded.

Does your complaint concern the IND? Your complaint will be registered. You will receive a notification letter. The IND will now first assess if your complaint is complete and whether there is an authorisation (when needed). After this the IND will look at the complaint itself. Sometimes the IND asks you if you wish to attend an hearing. You will then get the chance to explain your complaint in a conversation at the IND office. Within 6 weeks you will receive an answer on your complaint.

I am not happy with the answer on my complaint. What can I do now?

You can ask the Nationale Ombudsman to start an investigation into your complaint. You have to apply for this investigation within 1 year of receiving an answer on your complaint. 

You can also go to the Commissie voor de Verzoekschriften en de Burgerinitiatieven van de Tweede Kamer (Commission for the Petitions and the Civilians Initiatives of the Second Chamber of Parliament) or the Commissie voor de Verzoekschriften van de Eerste Kamer (Commission for the Petitions of the First Chamber of Parliament).