International students' income requirement temporarily relaxed

Last update: 20 July 2020

The coronavirus crisis makes it more difficult for international students to meet the income requirement for their residence permits. The State Secretary for Justice and Security has therefore decided that students cannot lose their residence permit for this reason alone. Usually, the IND can revoke a residence permit if the income requirement is not met (any more).

International students (from outside the EU) have to annually declare through their university or college in the Netherlands that they have sufficient income for at least another year (€897.56 per month). If a student does not meet the so-called income requirement, the educational institution concerned must report this to the IND. The IND may then decide to revoke the student's residence permit.

Only for current students
The temporary relaxation of the income requirement applies only to current students, who had a regular residence permit to study in the Netherlands in the academic year 2019-2020. The educational institution must indicate in the notification form to the IND that the student does not meet the income requirement due to the coronavirus crisis. Then the student's residence permit will not be in danger of being revoked for the academic year 2020-2021. If a student ends up claiming social assistance, the IND can still decide to revoke the residence permit.

Digital consultation hour
Every year, the IND handles 10,000 to 15,000 applications from higher education institutions that act as sponsors for international students. After the summer period, many international students will again come to the Netherlands to study. Because of the coronavirus measures, universities and colleges have many questions about this. In order to provide them with a good and prompt service, the IND has set up a weekly digital consultation hour together with Nuffic. Educational institutions wishing to participate can send an email to

More information

  • Are you a student? Please read the FAQs under 'Residence permit' on
  • Are you working for an educational institution? Please read the information under 'Employer, educational or research institution' on